Saturday, September 12, 2020

I Was Just Wondering...

 

I am having fun making asterisk flowers. I deliberately made this one asymmetrical.


About six years ago I made this quilt as a sampler for a class I was teaching. I had originally intended it to be a row quilt, but none of the elements seemed to want to stay earthbound. Everything wanted to fly into the air. I tell students that often a quilt will tell you what to do, and what the quilt wants, the quilt should get. So I decided to let everything float up. It was a real struggle to figure out just how to arrange all the elements, and then sewing them together was no small feat, but I love this quilt. The quilting is pretty special too. 

So I got to thinking... WHAT IF I made a quilt ENTIRELY of asterisk flowers? I could mass them at the bottom and make them float upwards. I could make asterisks of slightly different sizes... I could have some regular and some asymmetrical. I could have a lot of fun with the colors and fabrics.

Sounds like a plan!





7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

A truly marvelous and magical plan.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the quilt! Such a great combo. The asterisks have a lot of energy going on- will be fun to follow what you do with them.

Judy in Michigan said...

Great idea!! The first picture is one of my favorites of your quilts!!

El-Fee said...

I can see your problem with you sampler. This year, I made nearly 50 birds and since Mai, I try to make them go together. My fault is the background, several different greens. Every time, I look at them, I can't but think: Holy shit, that will never do!

El-Fee from Germany

Poppy Q said...

I love the birds and the asterixs.

Susie Q said...

a good plan.....

QuiltGranma said...

We live in a VERY dry area, and wild pink/purplish asters are blooming in the dust out here, that so VERY much remind me of your asterisks. Spindly and thin. Barely any leaves, mainly a gangly stalk going up to the flowers!