Thursday, July 30, 2020

Holy Ruler, Batman!

WELL!!!

I sure as hell didn't expect the comments I got yesterday. Some of them, maybe. And I think a few of you missed the "Come back tomorrow and I'll show you [how I cut my strips]."

57andfemale couldn't wait to hand me my butt. Not so fast sweetie. Patience is a virtue and because of all the comments you are all going to have to wait another day to find out HOW I cut my strips and WHY.

Let's go in order, shall we?

earthmotherwithin: You have a good point Lynne. But I have sore hands, and the Accuquilt system is great for me, even though it means that I have to channel my creativity through the spectrum of the dies I own or am willing to buy.

Lynne: I surely get it. I have arthritis in my hands too. I'm all about the fat pens and the special tools and knickknacks needed to open things like pickle jars and some highlighters. You've been a reader for a long time, so I know you have heard me say "Do whatever works for you" more than once.


Helen Howes: I have had a set of these for many years, but don't use them much. Creative Grids in the UK used to offer them and I have found them good for "live" teaching.

Lynne: Helen, you made me laugh, but I'm a little confused. What do you mean, good for "live" teaching?  "Live" as opposed to, what, exactly?


Kathy: I had a set of clear ones back in the dark, beginning ages of rotary cutting, too. So easy to use but not clearly marked like your new ones. What a great way to go!

Lynne: I was overjoyed when I saw how big the markings for the size were. The older I get, the happier I am with stuff I don't have to squint to read.

57andfemale: ...Your templates (those are templates, not rulers)...

Lynne: That's an issue of semantics. I think of a template as something I trace around. I don't think template is any better a word for them than rulers, but long and skinny and my brain thinks rulers. Use whatever term floats your boat.


57andfemale: But I teach beginning quilters, and I stress safety when cutting. Keeping your fingers from the edge of a small ruler is difficult and dangerous, and there is less control of the ruler...

Lynne: You don't know how I cut. You don't know why I do what I do. The answers will come tomorrow. You know what they say about assumptions.
 

57and female: I teach how to use a regular rotary cutter ruler... A regular rotary ruler is the best tool.

Lynne: Regular readers know I used the two rotary cutters I bought in 1983 for over thirty some odd years before I replaced them two years ago... with standard rotary cutters.


57andfemale: I would also say that it's easier to line up a line from a traditional rotary cutter ruler against the raw edge of the fabric, than lining up the edge of a template.

Lynne: Again, you're making assumptions. Why don't you wait and actually see what it is that I do?


the Colorful Fabriholic: I find it helpful and easy to mark my ruler with blue painter's tape at the width I to cut. As an added benefit, the tape on the underside of the ruler snugs up against the previously cut edge of the fabric.

Lynne: I'm pretty sure I introduced blue painter's tape to the quilting community back in 2008. You don't have to convince me. I've used it more than once to mark a line on a gridded ruler.


Judy in Michigan: You are amazing - I would like to see 3 rulers taped together - just to see how it looks - the taping - how it stays together. Thanks. Interesting posts and so true about misreading all the lines on the ruler.

Lynne: Thanks Judy! When you tape two rulers together, the edges have to be absolutely straight, sharp and square. I usually lay them next to each other on my worktable, and them tape them to each other crosswise at the top and bottom. I've been known to jam heavy things on either side to make sure there isn't a gap between the two strips before I lay down a wide piece of blue tape on their long edges. And then I measure to make sure the width is the same from top to bottom. I can't tell you how much I hate misreading the lines on those rulers.


JustGail: These are very cool and I like that the whole, halves, and quarters are color coded AND clearly marked.

Lynne: They ARE cool, and I also love that they are color coded and clearly marked.


JustGail: What do you do if you need 1.75" strips, or are some not in the photo?

Lynne: I forgot to order the 1.75" one, dammit. But I have a 1" one and a 3/4" one from 1983, so I'd tape those together. hee hee hee. Or I'd break down and use a gridded ruler and swear.


Exuberant Color/Wanda Hanson: Those were available in the early 1980s when there was only one company making a rotary ruler. Seminole patchwork was popular back then and the strips worked better than a wide ruler for that. They weren't marked with size though like yours so I used a black marker. As more companies got into the rotary ruler business the plain strips lost popularity, mainly for storage reasons. Rarely did anyone have a studio in the 1970s and 80s. A corner of the dining room or bedroom was the usual creative space and storage for tools and fabric was limited. Now with more people dedicating a space for sewing storage isn't as much of a problem and more than one cutting aid is the normal.

Lynne: What Wanda said. But in 1983, I did have a quilting studio.


GrammaBabs: I for one , relate totally to your point of view... care to share where one can find something like this?..

Lynne: Thank you, and I have to imagine there are people out in the quilting world who make templates.


OK, that's it. When I wrote this post there were nine comments, so those are the ones I addressed. I tried real hard to keep my temper in check and not be snarky. Seriously, though, I am not sloppy, reckless or careless with a sharp rotary cutter in my hand. You will see that I care about accuracy, consistency and safety. But I am also interested in working efficiently with no wasted energy. I am good at what I do. My quilts are neat, my threads are trimmed, my seams are pressed, and the backs of my quilts are lovely. My quilts are square and lie as flat as a pancake. That does not happen if you are cavalier about your work.

There's a lot of talk about "precision piecing" but "precision cutting" is just as important.


See you on the flip side, ladies!







































12 comments:

Megan said...

Good grief! (LOL) Good job on keeping your snarky in check.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Nancy J said...

You have replied so politely, and if everyone had read your final words, would have known to wait until your next post. Keeping your cool has a WHOLE new slant on it.

Qltcrystal said...

I say you do you and don’t give the naysayers any of your joy. Much love and blessings.

Helen Howes said...

Live Teaching - as opposed to writing patterns, books, working online, doing step-by-step tutorials for web or paper... In a room with real students, worth showing.

On paper or web, if I recommend a product, i have to constantly check whether that product is still available, or suitable, or whatever..

And for my "live" classes, worth having. Sadly, not easy to show online as mine are all plain. If I do decide to go the online class route I may have some coloured ones made!

Not critical in the tiniest amount of your methods, just pointing out that, at least in the UK, you can buy these readily

Elle said...

My way or the highway. Aren't humans fun ;-)

I am in awe of your calm! Happy Thursday.

stitchinpenny said...

I did not comment yesterday but some of those opinions are just holier than I quilt goddesses telling you that their way is the only way. I am intrigued to see what you do with the strips and after that I can choose to use or not use something similar. I like the concept of showing your process and allowing me freedom to make my own choicez. I can incorporate what you do or not. BTW I bought a 2.5 inch ruler and use it like you use the ones you had made. I tried cutting down a nicked edge ruler to make a 3.5 but it shattered.

Just Ducky said...

Purrs to you Miss Lynne, we like your style. Plus it is OK to be snarky, sometimes.

Rebecca said...

What you said!!!

What floats your boat and gets the quilt finished!!!1

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your last statement about precision cutting is so true. In a lot of my classes the cutting was done at home before the first class. I would have students who couldn't figure out why their pieces didn't fit when they sewed so precisely. Their cutting was totally inaccurate, fabric not pressed well, crooked strips. And worse of all many were using dull rotary blades.

You were lucky to have a studio back in 1983. I still had 2 kids living at home and had the corner of the dining room. In 1984 though I had a guest room and a studio when both kids got married.

Katie said...

I read your post yesterday and was waiting to see your process. In my mind, I'm not sure it will be the right choice for me, but until I see it, who knows? As for the comments...I read a few and wanted to start throwing shoes right then and there. For you, at them. Sheesh! No one said they had to do it your way and really, if you lose a finger, that's on you, not them. (But please don't! My dad fell off a ladder yesterday and broke his hip. That's enough injury for a while for me!)

Jeannine said...

Thanks for your straight talk and all you share! Much appreciated!

Machelle said...

I love these rulers/templates(I don't care what they're called- I would like to find a set!