Friday, July 10, 2020

Going Forward by Going Back

 
Five years ago I made this quilt using Sujata Shah's Cultural Fusion Quilts as a guide.

What was funny at the time was that it started out like this, and I thought, well that was ugly as hell, so I tinkered.

I am so emotionally tired (and I am pretty sure I am not the only one) but I need to get myself into the studio because doing creative work makes me feel better. I got to thinking about this quilt the other day because I showed somebody a calendar I had made with the Petals quilt (top photo) and was reminded of how much I liked it.

It's no secret I need to do something, but I don't feel drawn to any of the quotes I shared the other day enough to make a quilt out of any of them right at this minute. I know myself well enough to know that if I don't "feel it" it won't go anywhere. So the other night, instead of going to bed, I browsed my books in search of ideas, and ended up with the quilt above.

I pulled out this fabric with the dots. I bought it a while ago, and it's a hard fabric to use, but I liked the way the colors bounced around. Something like this can be more of an inspiration than a fabric in a quilt, and that's exactly what it inspired. You can see some of the fabrics I pulled out of my stash above it.

I pulled some pinky fabrics - but they all had to have some blue or green in them.

And I need some beige, cream, or whatever.

And because, what the hell, in for a penny in for a pound, so even though it was 11 PM, I cut some squares and then sewed these two blocks.

I have my next project.

5 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

Weeeeee.........

Quiltdivajulie said...

Emotionally tired - what a terrific way to describe what so many of us are coping with. Loved your petals quilt - pretty sure I will love what you do with this second iteration.

Just Ducky said...

Glad you have a new project. I think we are all just a bit down, bored or just tired of the current situation. We all need something bright to distract us from the real world.

If all else fails, hug Millie! Plus you are missing your tennis fix! Are they replaying tennis from previous years?

Love and hugs!

Susan R said...

Loved this post. As usual I get it. My creative spirit has to be fed...

Sending a hug.

Liz said...

I love love love this quilt. I'm wondering if you used a template or cut free handed. Can't find that detail.