Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Backing for 58 Carats

I always like to lay out my quilts on the backing I have chosen so I can be sure it is big enough before I hand it off to my long arm quilter.

Over the long weekend I ironed the backing I chose for the big diamond quilt, 58 Carats.
And because I hadn't trimmed it down, I thought I had better fold the edges over to make sure.

Am I glad I did! Look at this hole in the corner! Each of the four corners looked like this. I had to add fabric! I didn't need much, but from where? I didn't have more.           

Well, if the edge of the quilt was the point of the big printed diamonds, then I could trim these dark blue shapes smaller and use them to fill in those corners.

So that is what I did. This was one of those times when I could either do it or take pictures, and I just did it, and didn't take pictures. As you can see, it worked out fine. Thank goodness!

Here it is, ready to go. It was hard to find the right backing for this, so I ended up choosing a batikish backing with lots of colors all over it. You won't see any of that on the front of the quilt.

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent backing choice - I'm still pondering a back for Geode . . . I like the floral but haven't committed to it yet.

QuiltGranma said...

wow!