Saturday, April 11, 2020

Solo

Millie checks out her domain every day now. I am able to keep the window open for longer periods and she spends as much time as she can out there.

Everybody's baking. Me too, but I don't need a regular batch of anything. This is a five by three inch brownie. The book is "Small Batch Baking" for one or two people. This is enough for me to satisfy my sweet tooth.

This is a batch of 20 masks I made for my company. We are classified as "Essential." Our facility supplies many of the essential infrastructure markets defined by the Department of Homeland Security and with my masks and those made by other volunteers, every member of our company now has at least one. All of the admin staff are working remotely and the support/engineering staff work at home on alternate days. The company instituted staggered shifts so workers in the production areas can stay six feet apart and our sick leave policy has been expanded to include workers affected by Covid-19. We've also developed a 3D printed face shield that has been approved by the NIH and are now being used in two local hospitals.

I've now completed my second week working from home. On Thursday the printer sounded an alarm. It needed a new drum unit. I contacted our purchasing agent and gave her the appropriate part number. She asked for my street address. A short while later she sent me an email telling me that the drum unit and a toner cartridge would be delivered to my house the next day. And the next day, it was. I am sure my neighbors in this over-55 community were very surprised to see the delivery truck for a big box office supply company driving through.

 In the next day or two, I will resume the story of my friendship with Julie. This is a photo I took of the quilts hanging in her foyer when I visited in 2013.

4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Those quilts are still right where you showed them in the photo -- I love having them there. Your masks look great and I'm happy for Miss Millie that she can spend more time out on the porch. Enjoy your brownie!

Amelia Quilter said...

Are you putting wire in the nose area of your masks?

Robby said...

I cannot express how much I love that flying monkey quilt! Hoping there's story to come. Looks like you and Millie have hunkered down pretty well there.

Ann said...

Good luck with work. How kind to have helped make masks for everyone. And I've always admired the Flying Monkey quilt, too.