Saturday, April 18, 2020

Pandemic Fashion!

A week or so ago I made masks for my son and his family, and sent them to the City of Angels. Yesterday they sent me this picture.

"They are so comfy," my DIL wrote. "Little Miss loves hers and does not want to take it off. They fit perfectly, nice and snug around the nose."

Now, they live in California, and that means they can't even leave their own property, so they can't take a walk down the street. We all know my granddaughter probably won't go out at all, but there was no way I was NOT going to make her a mask. And OF COURSE it had to have dinosaurs!

This is me with one of the masks I made for myself. I have a pair, so I can always have a clean one if I need to go out.

Although I'm not going out. The only time I go out is to go down to the mail house to collect my mail, and whether I walk or drive, I wear a mask.

One of my coworkers saw the masks I had made for the production workers and asked if I could make some masks for her and her family. She had tried to buy some, but had no luck.

Tell me how much and I will pay you, she texted.

Well, gee, I wrote back, if you're still going to the grocery store, here is what I would like as payment:

1 bunch of parsley
1 bunch of cilantro
2 or 3 avocados
1 bag of spinach
1 bunch of asparagus
1 box of linguine

A few hours later, my grateful friend delivered two grocery bags of green stuff for me.

The masks for the rest of her family are almost ready!

9 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Great looking masks!
May as well have fun and look good if you have to go out :)
Nancy

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That sounds like a perfect barter! The masks are pretty. I especially like the llama.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Brilliant bartering, Lynne!!!

Nancy J said...

Love the fabrics, down here on Trade Me, the home made ones, either in an actual home, or a clothing factory that has turned to another way of generating income, they vary from $15, to $30 each. And I saw one did not have stitching that was even round the edge. I have tried several patterns and found that Craft Passion is one that fits well, and you can insert another filter. I added a little bias strip on the outside at the top so a pipe cleaner, piece of wire or other can be inserted to make a good tight fit.The youngest, hers is a winner!!! And what a grand swap, I would go for fresh greens any time as well.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I wore my turquoise blah-blah-blah one the other day when I went to pick up a prescription - the pharmacy tech LOVED it. My comment to her was "If I have to wear one, it HAS to be fun - I'm a quilter after all" and she laughed. Your masks will get that same kind of "cool mask" response.

Sewgirl said...

The masks are great. As you know I live in CA and we are allowed to leave our homes to exercise. Here is the link for the restrictions in LA: https://corona-virus.la/faq. Although I live in the SF Bay Area, the guidelines are similar. I hope your son and family can get out around their home to maybe count teddy bears in windows. Many communities have been doing that as a sort of scavenger hunt for kids, plus allows them to count as many as they can find. In my niece's neighbored she has seen other stuffed animals and one skeleton!

Nancy said...

That was a good trade. Your masks are very bright and happy! I am staying in also although I live on a farm and can go out and around our place if I want. Right now that is a wonderful option! However it is 20 miles one way to a grocery store. We have been going shopping once every two weeks.

Just Ducky said...

Good trade!

Hubblebird said...

My sister lives in California. She fosters children and asked me to make masks for her and the kids and to send them over. This I gladly did, however, the Australian government has banned all parcels leaving Australia for the USA to prevent those profiteers here who are buying up medical masks and sending them to USA to be sold. I explained that mine were home made and not for profit. To no end. Apparently ALL parcels are banned. I’ve sent her the link to try and make her own. Meanwhile I have about 20 adult and kid sized masks here that I don’t need and nowhere to send them in Australia.