Monday, February 24, 2020

Gray and Yellow

For many years you couldn't buy gray fabric, but that has changed. I bought some to make a quilt years ago, but the fabric got shanghai'd into another quilt.

This flimsy, Partly Sunny, made by Julie Sefton, arrived at my house last month, but I've had too much going on to write about it. Julie designed the quilt back in November 2017, but she didn't sew it together this way because the thought of sewing 320 blocks one at a time was too daunting. You can read the story here. I fell in love with the original version, and was dismayed when she sewed the blocks in a different layout.

As often as we talk on the phone, I never told her what I thought of the original version until over a year later. Julie admitted she was not in love with her revised version, and several months later took the flimsy apart and reassembled it. You can read that story here.

I told her I loved the flimsy so much I'd give her money for it. (I'm pretty sure that went in one ear and out the other, but that didn't stop me from repeating it as often as I felt necessary.)


At the beginning of this year I made this flimsy, Geode, which, while it didn't thrill me, enamored Julie.

Now, Julie is my best buddy, and she and I have exchanged quilts, and even designed a few together, even though we live 1,127 miles apart (as the crow flies). There was only one thing to do. Put it in a package and send it to her. So that's exactly what I did, but I didn't tell Julie it was coming. I wanted it to be a surprise. It was. You can read about it here.

A few days later, Partly Sunny arrived on my desk. I had forgotten the HSTs were 3". All quilts are beautiful in pictures, and even better in real life. This one is no exception. I loved looking at the fabrics.

Over the weekend I made a trip to Quilted Threads and bought this lovely gray floral print. I'll use it for the binding, but I think I should get more and use it as the backing.

Quilty friends are the best.




9 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love your quilts, I love Julie's quilts. Most important I love the relationship the two of you have. It's been fun and eye opening to watch all of the "mutual designed" quilts come together over the years. Even though you live "1127 miles apart as the row flies" :-)

Diane Koch said...

Oh how neat! I loved that quilt too when I saw it on her blog recently. And yes, great fabric for binding/backing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I'm so happy that you're happy with Partly Sunny AND that you've decided to use that gorgeous gray for the backing and binding. You are so right - quilty friends ARE the best!

audrey said...

Very fun that you have such a good quilting friend. Love that you have made such a successful trade and both seemed so thrilled with your end of the bargain! The gray binding fabric is wonderful.:)

Lesley Gilbert said...

I follow both your blogs and admire both your works of art. I remember the grey and yellow blocks on display, taken down and rearranged but love this final layout - lucky you :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I also have followed both quilts and just love the stories and the quilts. I would be hard pressed to make up my mind choosing either quilt.

Tammy Hutchinson said...

Yes, you should. Beautiful pairing.

Robby said...

That grey you picked is a fabulous complement. It's fun to see how the two of you interact over quilts. Both creative in your own right, of course, but together it's a bit like "iron sharpening iron" sometimes.

O'Quilts said...

I love the sunny one...no wonder you were smitten