Friday, December 27, 2019

Yellow

 

My Mother's favorite color is YELLOW. When I showed her the finished Golden Zebras quilt, she said, "I love this. Can I have it?" I said No. I made it for my couch and I'm keeping it. She wasn't thrilled, but I said I would consider making her a yellow orange quilt kind of like it. "Not too much orange." Well, we'll see. I don't know what will happen when I make my quilts, so we will see.

Anyway, look at the book my mother is reading. It is YELLOW: The History of a Color, by Michel Pastourneau. I gave it to her for Christmas. This photo was taken in my house Christmas morning after we opened presents.

This is a picture that took itself, as soon as I walked into the room. Yup. This is an example of keeping your eyes open and NOTICING. Yellow book, yellow quilt... yeah.




Update # 2: Mom has asked for practically every quilt I have made for the last two or three years. It's getting old. I love her, but no. I designed the quilt for myself, and I don't make copies. She already has five of my quilts, and yet she only has one bed (and no wall space). I agreed to make her a variation. You're entitled to your opinion, but in the end the quilts I make are mine and I have the final say in where they go.

10 comments:

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

It's a great photo! She looks quite happy there and yellow does suit her. I couldn't have said no. But I am sure you will make her one just as wonderful.
Have the best New Year and thank you for sharing your work.

Nancy J said...

A quilting tutor once told me many years ago every quilt needs a little yellow to add some " Zing"!!! Love that photo.

Just Ducky said...

Lovely.

Judy in Michigan said...

So you gave her the quilt, the Golden Zebra quilt? I'm confused. Anyway, it is lovely, just like your mother.

Ann said...

A lovely photo and story. My mother wanted a quilt I'd made for myself once. (Actually, several times.) At least your mother can visit it here.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Priceless photo!

Aly D said...

Lovely picture of your mother & beautiful quilt. If I were you, I would reconsider my answer & give her THIS yellow quilt that she loves and can snuggle with now. The couch can wait a little longer to have a yellow-orange quilt draped over it.

Ellee said...

This post made me sad. You are privileged to still have your mother. One day she will no longer be around.

Shirley said...

What a beautiful quilt, and good on you to stay true to yourself and not give it away, even if it’s your mother. It will look lovely on your couch.

Millie said...

Ellee, my mom has four of my quilts, and two of them were made in the last two years. I am well aware how fortunate I am both my parents are still living.