Monday, November 18, 2019

The Bigs

I cut a LOT of my giant prints into big diamonds. Since they take up so much space on the design wall, I've stacked them by color. This is really not a great idea, since you need to be able to see them all to work out the design, but space is finite.

In the original quilt, the colors weren't really arranged in any particular way that made sense. Here I thought I would attempt to divide them cool on one side and warm on the other. I knew it wouldn't really work because I have more warmish fabrics than cool ones, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

 
If there is one thing I have learned from taking the Colorwash 360 class with Wanda it's when you get everything up on the wall the first time, it is JUST A START. But as I was placing the blocks I could see quite clearly what my class with Wanda had taught me. I think you can see it too.

So this is the first pass and we'll see what develops. Like the first quilt, this is made from fabrics that are in my stash.

5 comments:

donna from canada said...

I really like this try and try again method. It makes sense to me
It is also the most fun
Loving this

Quiltdivajulie said...

Those big prints really show off well. Here's to the adventure ahead!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh the prints are oh so glorious.

Hubblebird said...

Hi Lynne. I really love your quilts and the design process you go through. I wish I had your eye ready for when I eventually put my huge hand-pieced hexagons together, hopefully later this year. The diamond hexagons have lit a fire in me to create a diamond quilt which I'd like to try next year.

I'm not sure how you create the diamonds. I have searched your website and can't find references to this. The Harlequin Diamond quilt pattern (which I haven't purchased by may very well end up doing) mentions templates. Do you cut your diamonds from templates? The dinosaur fabric you cut into would suggest that.

Understand perfectly if you don't wish to share how you create them!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love all of those big prints dancing together.