Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Baby, It's Cold Outside

It was 14.5F when I got up this morning. We've got that cold that is covering the East Coast and will stay with us for a while.

 This is my friend MJ, who wouldn't let me take a picture of her face. "Oh MJ, I said, what a pretty color combination you are wearing. Can I take a picture?" This photo was taken over two years ago.

I thought about it last night when I was talking to Julie. We were talking on the phone and I had mentioned an article in the NY Times about one of their former photographers, Sam Falk. "He has a reporter's knack for being in the right place at the right time and an artist's ability to capitalize on the moment," one reviewer wrote about him.

The photo of MJ above, is like that. As soon as I saw her that day I loved the color combination, and I knew enough to take a picture so I could keep that memory. I didn't know what I would do with it at the time, but last night, as I talked to Julie I mused out loud, "Wouldn't that make a pretty quilt.... light sky blue, a nice medium brown and white... Maybe some red violet thrown in for a little punch."


After we hung up, I went into the bedroom and got ready for bed, but the idea kept bugging me, so I ran into the studio and started pulling fabrics out of my stash. This is a sampling. I like the idea. I don't know what I am going to do with them yet, but it will be fun to see what happens.


4 comments:

Nancy J said...

A lovely combination, and a super outfit with contrast inner cuffs.

Just Ducky said...

Somewhere I have made an afghan with chocolate brown, blues and cream yarn. Many years ago.

Sewgirl said...

Love that color combination. A LONG time ago I used t work in a florist. A client came in and requested blue and brown for her wedding flowers. I thought the idea was crazy at the time, but it turned out so beautifully I have loved that color combo ever since!

Quiltdivajulie said...

And a grand conversation it was!