Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Year 2019

I made the numbers for the year on the signature panel of the Not Paper Pieced quilt.


And you know me, I couldn't resist adding a fun element to the hole in the zero. The lady is saying, "I'm watching you! No paper was harmed in the making of THIS quilt!"

So here it is. I've got to add fabric around the word sections to make it a big panel and then piece it into the rest of the backing.

I briefly considered making the numbers pink, but I felt they would draw too much attention, so they are gold.

AND BEFORE ANYBODY SAYS ANYTHING... I think there is a bit too much space between the T and the Y in TYLER, and a smidge too much space between the 0 and the 1 in 2019, and the diagonal leg of the 9 is too narrow. The second Y is made of components that are probably a bit too thick. Of all of those things, what I might fix is the numbers.

Otherwise, as the French say, "Tant pis." (And I'm 90% sure those of you who don't speak French can figure it out.)



In my tutorial on "Liberated" letters, not only do I tell you how to make all the letters in the alphabet without patterns, templates or (god forbid), paper-piecing, I also tell you how to make numbers.  You can get it here, on my Etsy shop. It's full of absolutely everything you need to know to make letters and make them well.

6 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the label! It is so you and so fits the front of the quilt.

NeverBored said...

I love the label too with all its irregularities. They say, "I was free form pieced, not paper pieced to perfection!"

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a great label and so appropriate for the front.

Lizzie said...

Hi Lynne,

Busy summer but I've been keeping up with these quilts. Love the 2 zebras--magnificent illustration of the same concept but they look entirely different. Very much enjoyed your birds based on colors from you garden.

I agree on all the things that could be adjusted in the signature panel but I would narrow the space between T and y. It bothers me more than the the 0 1 space. Just saying...

Belated happy birthday!

Elizabeth

Sewing Sue said...

Great label! I might agree on the T-Y issue, but overall it works and I think you did a fine job. It's a great idea also because it's permanent... no danger of it fading or being removed. Thanks for showing it!

Ann said...

I like the way you angled your 9. If you wanted to control everything, you would have paper pieced it. This is a statement.