Sunday, July 7, 2019

It's Easy When You Know How.

I really had to restrain myself from adding at the bottom of yeserday's post "That was easy." I am aware that a lot of things are easy for me that are not easy for others, so I try not to show off.

But Rebecca asked how come this one went together so quickly when I agonized and wrestled with the Parade of Zebras last March.

The answer, Rebecca, was that all the struggles of last March taught me how to make this design work. I knew what I wanted to do, and how to do it. I had a plan.


I did not cut triangles at random and try to figure out how to use them afterwards. I cut my strips, matched the pairs and sewed the strip sets together. I cut only the triangles I needed to make design work. In other words, I designed the quilt one block at a time.

So having done all the "heavy lifting" before, this came together quickly.

Hope that answers your question, Rebecca.





7 comments:

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love it! Very intriguing design.

Ruth said...

I really like to hear your reason and thoughts about how you go about designing your quilts. Today I think you prove the point that easy is not exactly the same as fast.
Some things are "fast and easy" and some things are "fast or easy".

Judy P. said...

I really like this layout and the yellow. I was a computer programmer and I came to understand that "user friendly" meant "I know how to use the application". You learned how to do this (with no small amount of effort) and now it is easy. Great job! I have to make one of these lovelies.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Easy usually come after all the hard work and sweat have battled through learning the drill of how things go together.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

My goodness, aren't these golden zebras gorgeous! This is going to be so special.

Michelle said...

Sometimes seeing quilters like you say something was easy is motivating. I might not know how to do it myself, but if it's easy for you it should be possible for the rest of us. Maybe with some practice or trial and error, but eventually possible.

Mystic Quilter said...

I think this is stunning!