Thursday, July 11, 2019

Chasing the Moon

I've been hand sewing the binding on the Parade of Zebras quilt. I told you I'd be doing it while I watched television. I expected to be doing it while I watched the tennis at Wimbledon, but instead I've been glued to the TV for the last few nights watching the PBS American Experience production of "Chasing The Moon."

July 20 2019 marks the 50th anniversary of the lunar landing, and I watched every bit of it while it happened. In fact, I watched from the very beginning, with Alan Shepard in 1961. My family watched all of it, and we were watching late at night on July 20 1969 when they landed on the moon. I'll never forget it.



I was able to get one long side of the quilt done last night, and now I am halfway through. My DIL loves the quilt, so it will be flying to California to live when it is finished.

5 comments:

Just Ducky said...

Have been watching all of the shows on the moon, astronauts, space exploration. The library does a documentary once a month, this month was on Apollo 8. There was one man who was a nerdy as I was about space. We were even correcting the librarian when she got the dates wrong! I remember where I was when they lifted off, where we watched the landing and the space walk. I would get up early, stay up late to see this stuff. Loved it, still do.

Nann said...

We've watched it, too -- well, the first two segments. It's on the DVR so we can catch last evening's program. Our PBS station also broadcast https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/spacemen/ about the Air Force's pre-NASA upper-atmosphere testing..... At Rotary this morning I had the "fun and frolics" segment. I asked everyone to recall one part of the U.S. space program that they remembered. Interestingly, four women didn't recall anything. Others remembered the Challenger, the moon landing, John Glenn, the X-15 testing in Nevada. (And my husband recalled almost seeing Sputnik when he was a teenager. )

Ann said...

That was such an exciting era in our history. I, too, remember where I was for all those missions. It's been a treat to watch these shows and recall the excitement.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I only saw the last 40 minutes. Our local paper no longer puts in a TV guide, so I don't know what is on and I don't watch much TV.
I was climbing Mt. Washington with my dad when the moon walk was going on. I thought it was ironic that I was stumbling around the rocks on the mountain and getting blown to bits by the high winds while the astronauts were bouncing along on the moon.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I watched it too. I don't look at listings, but was able to catch it on pbs.org. It was very enjoyable and interesting.