Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Barns on the Brain

I am always on the lookout for neat looking barns as I drive around. Here are a few that I have photographed over the last few weeks.

 This isn't an old barn, but it's a very handsome one. It is in Hampton Falls NH.

This worn out, worn down barn is on Route 114 on the way to Quilted Threads.

As you can see this barn is connected to an old house that has seen better times. As I was driving out to Peterborough with my dad on Saturday we looked at a lot of barns. "You know," my dad said, "keeping an old barn in good shape costs a lot of money."

This Francestown barn is famous. It is featured in a lot of calendars about New Hamsphire. As you can see, this barn is decked out for the Fourth of July. During the holiday season, the owners hang wreaths to every door and window.

"You know, the cupolas on the top of the barns aren't for the looks, they're for ventilation," my dad told me.

We got ice cream at Ava Marie's Chocolates after I bought some Lemon, Lime and Basil infused olive oils at Monadnock Oil & Vinegar. I had "Mississippi Mud" ice cream, which sounded awful to me, so I had to as WHAT it was. Turns out it was coffee flavored ice cream with oreo cookies and chocolate chips. It was seriously awesome. My dad had Maple Walnut. He's 87. Can you tell we're related? Can you tell we have a good time when we're together?

Right behind us in the picture above, we could see this barn across the street.

This is the side of a bar in downtown Peterborough. I don't know why there are names written on the siding, but I thought it looked terrific.

One other thing. Notice the big blocks of granite that make up the foundation of this building and many of the other barns in New Hampshire. Julie was blown away when she saw them.

"Well, this IS the Granite State," my dad said, laughing.




6 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Lynne - No, I can't tell that you are related...hah! What a gorgeous story. I lost my Dad three years ago and miss him terribly. He would have loved just such a trip (with an ice cream and a beer thrown in for good measure). That's the Irish in us. I think of him every day. You are a lucky girl. And your Dad is a lucky man.

Quiltnhen said...

Love the barn photos! Of course the one of you and your Dad is wonderful! I enjoy following your quilt design process.

Rose said...

I so love these...I have a LOT of barn photos and enjoy seeing any anyone wants to post. Yes, I think you and your dad look a lot alike.

Jackie said...

I love the first barn. You are so blessed to still have your Dad in your life I as well lost my Dad three years ago and wish dearly he was still here. The trouble (fun) we used to have together.

Judy S in New Hampshire said...

Hi Lynne and Millie. You can really see you and your dad are related! If you have time when you go to the Belknap Mill Quilt Show, you should drive by my old house in Belmont, NH. House was built in 1790. Original barn burned in early 1800's, but was rebuilt shortly after. Post and beam, really beautiful. You can still smell hay, animals after rain. If you send me private email, I'll provide address.

Love your blog!

Lynn said...

This entry made me smile. I love looking at barns but it was the description of the outing with your father that
moved me. Thanks.