Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Size and Space Matter

It's easy to lose track of how big something is until you see it in context. I looked up from my worktable on Saturday when I was sewing big chunks of the Not Paper Pieced quilt together and saw this.

I spent most of my sewing time last night removing the Grouchy Seamstress from the quilt.

Yes I did! She was too close to the letter Q, so I moved her over to the left.

She only shifted an inch and a quarter to the left, but I think it looks better.


You can see some of the things I've hidden in between the NOs. I see two things I want to change. The man between the two NOs in the top row needs to move so he's leaning next to the NO on the left. Right now he's sort of hanging in mid air. Now that I know I have that much space, I may fill it with the rest of his body.


The light grey NO on the left side, opposite the Grouchy Seamstress is now too light. When I envisioned the border of NOs I thought of them as very low key, but they got darker and brighter. Now that one looks like a hole through which the rest of the quilt (and the precious viewer's eye) can escape. Can't have that!    

  The lady at the sewing machine has also finally found the perfect spot. She'll be down in the bottom border of NOs, right next to NEVER!

We're in the home stretch.

3 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

These little tweaks make ALL the difference -- enjoy the process.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Great tweaks! I tend to let things go once they are sewn in, but I can see that they make a great difference.

audrey said...

I really enjoy reading through your posts and seeing all the little changes made. It's one thing to see a finished quilt top and quite another to have read through all the growth and growing pains.:)