Friday, June 21, 2019

I Do Not Hate Paper Piecing.... But!


I got home late last night and didn't get much sewing done. Here the PAPER and PIECING panels are complete and sewn together. I've stuck some fabric strips up on the design wall to cover the white, so I can see what I've got. This weekend I'll be making use of the last 3/4 yard of background fabric adding bits here and there so I can sew things together (like the NOs in the borders). More fabric arrives on Monday.

A few weeks ago I cut the cat out of the image of the grouchy seamstress and last night I decided to put it back in. It's actually a whole new panel. I therefore removed the cat next to the word PAPER. Julie hadn't liked the big black butterfly, but it made sense when the tiny black butterflies were in the quilt. Without them the big one was alone, and a design element shouldn't be by itself in any artwork. Elements need to relate to each other. If they don't connect to something else similar in the piece, the viewer gets confused. (Alternately if something is the only "one" of that kind, it become like a bulls-eye, drawing the viewer 's eye and not letting it go: Very Bad Design.)  

Ignore the moth at the top left near the word THIS. He is not staying unless I give him some companions (read the paragraph above) but that's still up in the air (pun very much intended!)


Cynthia, I have nothing against paper-piecing. I tried it once and thought it was dumb. I see the point of those who love it, and more power to them. My issue is that people take one look at my quilts and say, "That's paper-pieced." You have to understand that I hear it ALL THE DAMN TIME. I mean, like EVERY SINGLE TIME. They don't look at the label, they just automatically ASSUME my work is paper pieced. Why? I guess it's because my work (technically speaking) is very good and my quilts like flat and are square. So after TEN YEARS of listening to this I got FED UP and decided to make a quilt that said, NO! No, No, No, No, NO NO NO!!!!! This quilt, these letters, these birds, these butterflies, whatever... are most definitively NOT paper pieced.

My name is LYNNE, not Lynn, Lyn, Lynda, Linda or Linn. My quilts aren't paper pieced either. Get it right.             

2 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

LOL, Lynne. About five years ago during a discussion about paper piecing, I announced rather loudly that I'd rather give a cat a bath than paper piece. My peeps latched onto this and in our circle, paper piecing is known as cat washing. I even have a Pinterest board called Cat Washing, because now I do a fair amount of it!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I can assure everyone that the Birds are NOT paperpieced! I love paperpiecing but I also love the way Lynne pieces her birds! You should check it out. (This was an unpaid non-political announcement.). LOL