Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Visual Weight

There's a thing called "visual weight" and we all know what it is even if we haven't got a term for it. Sometimes we need to look at things a different way ("reframing the problem") to see it.

Last week Cherie wrote to me off line and said she had a hard time "reading" the a in PAPER because some of the colored dots in the background fabric made the letter look like a figure 8. I disagreed, but the busy background bothered me more in those gold letters than in any other part of the quilt, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was that bothered me.

Actually part of me knew the problem was that those letters didn't have the visual weight of the letters higher up in the quilt. Was it because they were lighter in value or because they were lower case? Or because they were thinner. I had too much on my mind to worry about it.



On Saturday, during my letters class my pal Julie texted me and expressed her concern about the gold letters. Before I left QT that day, I bought a bunch of green fabrics (the row across the top).


The other night I made a green P.

This picture tells the story. I am not sure the other letters will be lower case as well, because I think they don't have the visual weight as the rest of the quilt and it will look top heavy if I don't. But I think the green is already an improvement.

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome. And never settle.


If you want to make your own free pieced letters (without paper piecing, patterns or templates) you can get my tutorial, here on Etsy. It's an instant download so you can get started right away.

6 comments:

Megan said...

A thought about the cat motif as a comma after the first 'no'. I think if it's to work, it needs to sit below the line, just as a comma would.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Linda Swanekamp said...

So glad your class went well and hope you rescued your fabric from Millie. Paper piecing and I don't get along, so in my head, I see a dull dark color. Love to see what you are doing with it.

Karen S said...

NO exclamation point...! The cat on the bottom of the point??? Waiting to see it all come together.

Quiltdivajulie said...

If this were my quilt (which is clearly is not), I would use ellipses after the NO . . . but that approach would probably work best with a single color background fabric. Having heard you SAY this quilt's words many times, the NO needs to be an emphatic stand-alone word, followed by a quick breath, and then This quilt IS NOT paper pieced.

The green fabrics for 'paper-pieced' are a great improvement. And I'm loving the border of NO.

Cherie in St Louis said...

As you said, I may know it but didn't have words for it......The new green P....an improvement :) I think you're correct its the color of the A along with the background dots. I always learn so much from your artistic journeys :)

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oops....meant to say you're correct it's the color of the A and not the background dots.