Tuesday, May 14, 2019

O Say, Can you C?

When I was making the green PAPER PIECING letters, I made this C using three fabrics. I knew what I wanted in my head.

As soon as I made it, I knew it was wrong. Moreover I knew instantly how to make it right. But first, a question for YOU. Do YOU know why this letter C doesn't work? See below for the answer.

 Here is the "good" C. I made it just like the other one. Except.

Here is the bad one on the left, and the good one on the right.

Here are the two of them, together. Bookends.

This just goes to show you how powerfully (and subtly) you can make your fabrics work for you or against you. (Wanda Hansen, from Exuberant Color, said she likes the way I use my fabrics to do "the heavy lifting" in my quilts. It's a great analogy.)

I wrote a tutorial about this too. It's called "Making Your Fabrics Work For You," and you can get it at my Etsy shop. Like all the rest, it's an instant download that you can get right away. Good stuff.





(Answer: It's top heavy.)


4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I am working on a floral colorwash right now where the fabric squares are walking all over me refusing to do their lift. I hope eventually they give up and get on the job.

Judy in Michigan said...

The answer to your question...the first C is heavy at the top and light weight at the bottom. You switched that around so the weight is at the bottom. I am starting to get it...

Ann said...

Good point, Lynne.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Terrific illustration of an often missed point.