Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Yes! More No!

I love putting things in my quilts that reward the viewer who is looking closely. I like the way this Ghastlie Grouchy Guy fits inside the letter O.

Since the "IS NOT" words in this quilt are meant to be taken seriously, I wanted them very dark almost solid looking fabrics. Here I put some up on the design wall to see if I liked the colors. I did, but I did not like the I, so I changed that later.

These are the finished IS NOT letters. They are not sewn together yet, and they aren't trimmed to size. As you can see I changed the I. The I is a deep violet, the S is dark red, the N is dark green, the O is black and gray, and the T is dark blue.

You've probably noticed I've used a monochromatic print for the background of these letters, and not the colorful fabric I showed yesterday. These letters are serious business, and I didn't want their impact diminished in any way.

I also made a test NO. I am going to have the word NO repeated over and over all around the quilt as a border. I am going to have the word NO in different languages, NYET, NEIN, NON, NE... along with an occasional NO WAY, NOPE, or NEVER. The NOs will be mostly low volume blender type fabrics. Well, that's the plan anyway. When I see them marching around the quilt I may change my mind. We'll see.

For Mona and Sharon who asked, this is all that's printed on the selvage to identify the fabric. Hope this helps, ladies. I bought it at Quilted Threads, and I bought all they had.


And here's a useful hint if you're using a lot of one particular fabric. Fan fold it and keep it to one side of your work table. This way you can just pull some over, and you don't have to move the whole stack all the time. Makes life a whole lot easier.



3 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looks like you are having fun. Can't wait until the letter tutorial comes out.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Nice! I can tell, by your words, that you mean business! ;)

Sharon Brown said...

Lynn, thank you for the fabric info. I found it at fabric.com and placed an order tonight, after making sure my local shop did not have it. That design is called Wool Ewe Flowers in white by Ink & Arrow. I also found it in black on Amazon as well as several other darling Ink & Arrow designs which I also ordered. One of my favorites things about your blog is your wonderful fabrics! Thanks again for your help!