Saturday, April 27, 2019

Paper

A lot of people think free-piecing means sloppy craftsmanship and no planning. My quilts are anything but. My craftsmanship is on point, as anyone who has seen the back of my quilts can attest. My seams are straight, my threads are clipped, my seams are pressed flat and my quilts lie square. None of that is an accident.

And if it's IN my quilt, it's because I wanted it there. Which means I plan, plan, plan. The fabrics above are the fabrics I will use in the letters PAPER PIECED, but before I could sew, I needed to know what I wanted the letters to look like. To do that, I had to draw.

I knew I wanted the letters to be blocky and regular, and I kinda wanted them boring. So I picked the gold color. I did not want them the hot red /red violet of the NO and QUILT.

When I knew what I wanted the letters to look like (and choosing the fabrics took at least an hour), then I got to work.

Unfortunately, once I get into working I forget to take pictures, so here are the PAPER letters.

Here is the first P in PAPER and if you are wondering if I fussy cut the fabrics, the answer is most decidedly YES. (Then again if you are a regular reader, you knew that already.)





If you want to make letters, you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. It's an instant download so you can get started right away.


4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Maths, Geometry then that stunning lady with rainbow colours, these next lot of letters will be amazing, but I know that already!!!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well done, as always! I am loving your progress on this.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The paper reminds me of brown paper bags- how funny! I can't wait to buy your tutorial. My credit card was frauded and I am still waiting for a new card (a week). It even had the chip.

Ann said...

I always enjoy your fabric selections. Thanks for the pointers on lettering.
I wish the backs of mine were perfect. Unfortunately, rotating blocks makes wrong seams. That’s probably why I like y-seams. They let me make changes on the fly.