Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Now What?

Sorting out the fabric in my stash, I found a lot of stuff I don't particularly like. It's okay, but nothing really special. I know if I put it back in the stash, it'll stay there forever. Most of the stuff was smallish prints or blender-ish, although there are some busier prints.

WHAT could I do with them?

SURE, I could cut them up into chunks and make a scrappy quilt, but that would be boring to do and didn't hold any appeal. If I wanted to use up that fabric, I had to find an interesting way to do it.

HOW could I cut up these fabrics so I could sew them up into something cool?

And then I thought of the quilt I featured in my very first blog post, some ten plus years ago. It was made from scraps.  Sort of.


I cut and paired contrasting fabrics together, then sewed them together...

I cut these up into long triangles.

Here are several pieces I've already cut.

Here are some ideas on putting these together. You can make the stripes line up across blocks, or you can emphasize the contrast. Clearly I'm going to have some fun with this.

To Judy who wondered if I cut something into smaller pieces after fussy cutting something out of a chunk of fabric - oh hell no. If I can fold the fabric back up fairly reasonably, then I do.

To Rebecca who wanted to know how I am keeping on track, the answer is, in small doses. I can only fold so much stuff before I go stark raving mad, so I do some folding and rearranging and then I go do something else.  Now that I have decided what to do with the fabrics I am not in love with, I'll cut strips when I find that stuff, and move on. I am now extra motivated to get the fabric sorting done so I can work on the next quilt with these long triangles.

To the Selvage Fairy, I think I have more than one bird quilt in my future. The New Hampshire Quilt will be a quilt for me and represent anything and everything I like. Family members in it? Not so much. I don't have a table quilt with birds, so with the bird-like fabric I discover as I organize the fabric will probably turn into birds that go into a table quilt.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I love this idea. I have a lot of old fabric I am trying to use up and this looks like a great way to do it.

Judy in Michigan said...

Thanks Lynne for your response to my question. I like this new idea with stripes!!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow this is a beautiful quilt and looks like it is really complicated to put together. Thank you for sharing the quilt and the simple way to make it. This is now on my to-make list!

Sharon said...

Cool! It looks so much more difficult to me...I like it !

Cindy said...

What a great idea to use one's uglies...and we all have them lurking around. This is great!!!!!

Dyann said...

LOVE this design!!!!! Can I ask what size strips you cut and the size of the long triangles? I would gladly pay for the instructions......your designs are always FABULOUS!