Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Table Quilts & A Few Ideas

When I visited my pal Julie in 2013 I was surprised to see a quilt covering the table in her kitchen. I thought it was a good idea to protect the table and a nice way to show off a quilt. I inherited my grandmother's mahogany dining room table, and I have to keep it covered to protect the surface. A quilt would do that quite nicely.  Over the years I have made seven.

I use the rail fence quilt, Picnic Table in January.


I wanted a red and white quilt for February. This is Peppermint Swirl.



I made a black and white Slashed Squares quilt for the month of March. I call it Terrazzo.


I like using "Hidden Treasure," the quilt Julie made for me using my leftover bits for April.


The Tumblers quilt, Easter Basket, is the one I use for the month of May.


I like using the Blue Deco quilt for June, and the rest of the summer.


The Fall House Top quilt is the one I use for November and the big Thanksgiving Feast.


The Christmas Random Plank is the quilt for December.

I like having different quilts for each month, but if I do that, I am missing quilts for July, August, September and October.  So I had to think about that. Do I really want to have a quilt for each month of the year?  YES! What would I do for those? My birthday is in July, so I knew that would have to be something special.

The quilts I have tend to be seasonal colors, so according to that August should be hot colors or red orange and yellow. September is probably my favorite month of the year - the weather is perfect, and October is peak fall foliage season, so that means reds, yellows and oranges with some greens and blues. Well, ok, but August and October aren't anything alike, and I don't want them to have the same colors. Maybe August could be beach colors - sandy tans for the beach, light blues for the sky and blue greens for the ocean...

I like that idea for August, so that's a go.


When I started looking at fabric shops online the idea for July came to me like a thunderbolt.  


I like Pink, and although it isn't necessarily my favorite color, I wear a lot of it because I look good in it.


 So the quilt for July will be Pink. (Then I bought about 13 yards of 28 different pinks!)

I like the quilts to be different designs too. I want to make a scrap slab quilt for one of these, and when the Wavelength quilt showed signs of looking three-dimensional, I got out my little notebook and did this drawing. It looks like a honeycomb, and as soon as that word popped into my head I knew that would be the theme of this quilt and that it would be the quilt for October.


And for that quilt, I may very well use White on Black fabrics for the dark side triangles instead of just darker Black on Whites. I'll experiment, of course, and see. I've got plenty of time.

That leaves September, but I'm not going to worry about that at all. I only have color ideas for July and August, and that's never stopped me in the past, but I do have a very specific idea for October, so that's where I'll start.

The next quilt is: Honeycomb, in Golds, Oranges, and Yellows for October!

5 comments:

Nancy J said...

Our Rimu table is very soft timber, and marks so easily, I use the protector white vinyl under a cloth, but do like the quilts you have for each month. I also have a HUGE white damask cloth that was Hugh's Mums. And a white cotton lace one, very heavy, that was my Dad's Mums. Birthday quilt, this will be so special.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love your ideas -- happy stitching!!!

Kiwiquilter said...

Lovely to have plans.
Nancy J, a rimu table? Are you in New Zealand? I don't know of them anywhere else in the world, unless shipped by a family. I have a big, old kauri one. Lots of marks and even a couple of cracks. I don't care a bit, adds to the character. No quilts on it for me, I love the timber too much. But I like them for other people... 😀

Anonymous said...

Hot August Nights comes to mind. Beaches and bonfires.

Mari said...

Good plans! Golds, oranges, and yellows sound like they'll make a very happy quilt. And 28 different pinks sounds amazing! I'm jealous!