Thursday, August 31, 2017

When It's Not Okay

Sometimes you do stuff and it doesn't turn out the way you thought. I wanted the word ART to be the wing of this bird, but there was something I didn't want in the lower right corner, so I thought if I inserted the two color chips it would look ok.

It did NOT look OK, and the more I looked at it, the less I liked it.  At times like this you have to ask yourself if you're willing to leave it as it is, or if you are willing to take it apart. For me it's simple. If it doesn't "work" then out it goes.  So I unsewed the seams surrounding the part I didn't like, and then pulled out the fabric I cut it from, and checked it out...

As you can see, the possibilities were endless... With a little judicious cutting and sewing I could continue that brown line into the tail and it would look better than that clunky pair of color blocks.

This is -ever- so much better.

Since I've put my brother, sister in law and mother in this quilt, it stands to reason I be in there too.  This bird will represent me in the Colorado quilt.



If you want to make birds, you can get all the information you need in my tutorial for sale here, on my Etsy shop. It is an instant download so you can get going right away.

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Her eye, her tail, and her words, you to a T. And I am so glad you will be in the quilt as well.

Nancy J said...

I hope that didn't come as disrespectful, the eye, meaning you have the most wonderful eye for colours, the tail, as you always perfectly match up blocks, and the words, ART is always there in all your quilts, blocks, and fabrics. truly another lovely bird block.( I recently made a comment on Facebook, and it was interpreted the wrong way, hence my second comment. The lady did apologise, after a scathing reply, I felt so bad, and am extra careful to modify my words now).But as a cryptic crossword solver, I can read between the lines, and find the hidden meanings easily.

Millie said...

Thanks Nancy J, I got it right the first time. I do know how things can get misinterpreted. Thanks also for the clarification!

Pat said...

Your revision is perfect.