Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Last Day of 2014

I ripped out (or "unpicked" the pieces I didn't like and replaced them with lighter versions. I think it is much better, but I can tell you that I much prefer it when everything is WOW.

I also moved the bird over. Now he looks like he's part of the quilt.

I also added a few little "seminole dots" to either side of SOUPER because I didn't want the word to get lost.

The quilt needs more little goodies. Like asterisk flowers and birds, I guess. Maybe it needs a cat. I don't know, but I don't want to make stuff. I want to use orphans that I already have.

Sometimes I think it's a good thing when you CAN'T work on something. It makes you slow down a bit and THINK. Continuing to work when your brain is in a muddle can be very bad. When I get like this, I stop. I clean up my workspace and put my tools away and go to bed.  But.

Before I go to bed, I ask myself a question related to the project I am working on. For example it might be, "What does this quilt need to make it stand out? What elements do I need to add?" It is very important that it be a question and that it be specific.

The answer will come to me, usually the next day. It will come unbidden, when I least expect it, but it always comes. I have learned to trust this instinct (or whatever it is) over my entire creative life.  My unconscious will work on the problem, and offer up some solutions. My job is to get out of the way and let it do it's thing.

Happy New Year's Eve!

7 comments:

Megan said...

Happy 2015 to you Lynne.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Rebecca said...

I love to watch your creative process. Thank you for taking the time (and the pictures) to share it with us!
All the best to you and yours in your new home this next year.

Anonymous said...

Love it, AND you! Happy New Year! Hugs!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another AMAZING effort . . .

Ruth said...

I enjoy seeing your process on this quilt; I know it is going to be another WOW when it is finished.

pwl said...

Wow! I haven't been reading your blog for a while, but, just - wow!

lisa shenk said...

It needs a chicken.....