Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ideas & Inspiration

I spent some time at The Currier Museum of Art yesterday. It's free on Saturday mornings. I strongly urge you to take advantage of your local art museum as often as you can. I didn't go for anything in particular, but I did see this, (sorry it is out of focus), an inlay in a wooden desk. It's less than 2" wide in real life, so these light and dark areas are tiny.
I thought it would make an outstanding border on a quilt.

Speaking of quilts, look at this,
It is a part of one "block" of a metal "quilt" made by a local artist, Anne Marie Kenny. I love the inconguous use of materials - the needles, the metal screen and the computer circuit boards.

It's so important to get out and look around. It keeps your brain from getting musty and stale.

5 comments:

Susan R said...

Wise words indeed Lynn. Thanks for the reminder (and sharing that amazing piece.)

Susan

Quiltdivajulie said...

Amen - this includes keeping your eyes open when you're driving to and from work (a route most of us could drive blindfolded if not for the other idgits on the road).

Light coming through trees, rooflines, new shutters on a house, angles, reflections . . . as you've said before, inspiration is EVERYWHERE!

(I saved old computer parts and odd bits from DH's workshop for ages but lacked the mechanical skills to create with them - so happy to see someone making art like what you've shown - VERY cool indeed)

Sue said...

Agreed. Thanks for the reminder.

Sharon said...

Ditto. I try to keep my eyes, and brain, open.

Love the circuit board piece. Having lived in Silicon Valley, it has a double meaning for me. What fun it is!

Quilter Kathy said...

The miserable winter weather and lack of enough quilting time is making my brain musty and stale for sure! I need to go out and look around!