Sunday, January 4, 2009

Alphabet Line Up

Sewing the uppercase letters together is easy, because they are all the same height. I just sew a 1" strip to the left side of each letter, and then join them. I might fiddle with them a bit, but by and large it's pretty straightforward.

The lower case letters, however, are a different story. Some have extra bits that go up (b, d, h, k, l, & t) and some have bits that go down (g, p, q, y). So the lower case letters need extra fabric both above and below, in addition to the bit along the side for spacing.


So here is a layout that I like so far.

I'm not 100% sure, however, and I have learned that when I get to that place, it's best to stop and do something else. At any rate, I have to make the letters that spell my name and the date. I've also decided to fill in some of the empty spaces at the beginning and ending of the letter rows with hearts, flowers and butterflies, kind of like this:


I've run out of the colorful polka dot fabric that I've used for the background of the letters. So I'll improvise. I should have known better. When I made Violette's quilt, I went back to the fabric store repeatedly to buy more of the same background fabric. In the end, I bought close to 10 yards. Of course, when I bought the white for the alphabet, I wasn't sure if I would use the letters with the white or black background.

I am really, really, really liking this quilt, and am very excited because it will be MINE when it is finished.

4 comments:

Tina said...

looking good!

Sharon said...

This looks great! I can see that sewing it together could be challenging. But it's good you get to keep this one when it's done...whoo hoo!

dot said...

Oh this is such a nice quilt. You are very creative.

jovaliquilts said...

It's just a stupendous quilt, so bright, so warm, so personal. No wonder you love it!