Tuesday, July 29, 2008

All Together Now!

This is the finished quilt for Violette.Here is the Sugar and Spice panel. It's about 40" wide by 44" long or so. The letters in "Sugar" are about 5" tall. This is the name panel for Violette. The letters in her name are about 8" tall. The butterflies are about 7" wide by about 5" high. Violette's family has a brown tabby cat. That's why there's a cat in this quilt, and that's why I used that particular fabric. The cat is about 10" tall, the flowers about 3" high. The signature letters on the back of the quilt are 3" high. The quilt is about 44" x 95". Why so big, apart from the fact that the elements of the quilt are large? My sister said, "Why make it so tiny? Why don't you make something she can actually -use- for several years. Make it twin-size." Made sense, so I did. This quilt is completely free-pieced. No patterns anywhere, no plans, no templates. No foundation piecing. I even designed the butterflies myself. The letters are based on free pieced letters, and the little asterisk flowers I found. The tulips are modified from a traditional quilt pattern. Tanya helped with ideas for the cat. It's not quilted for two reasons. One, this is the way my grandmother made quilts for our family, and we like them like this. Two, I have arthritis in my dominant hand. By the way, I am in Maryland for Violette's christening. I hope to post pictures of the blessed event, along with Violette and her quilt, soon. You can click the photos to enlarge. Enjoy!

10 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

It's sooo cute. you did a fabulous job making a very personalized quilt for that lucky little girl. woohoo! Enjoy your trip.

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt and I love that it is free pieced! I am new to quilt making and am inspired by your creativity. Thank you for sharing your talents.
... I tried to leave my name but Google wouldn't take my password?

kimberlym said...

This is great!You did an awesome job!

Joyce said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! It makes me feel like getting back to wonky free piecing.

Susan said...

It's just beautiful! I don't know that I would ever tackle such a project without a pattern. I understand how you made the letter blocks, butterflies, hearts and all, but how do you put them all together and have the quilt actually lay flat?

Mama Spark said...

You did a fantastic job on this! It is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Love that Monty is on the quilt!

Sharon said...

This is a wonderful, personal quilt! I'm sure Violette and her parents are going to love it! I love your free-piecing! (I'm gonna have to try your butterflies! They're fabulous!) And I like that you made it a summer spread. Thanks for the tip on what you used to tie it with. Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us in blogland!

comicbooklady said...

what a wonderful quilt! what a lucky girl! those are great butterflies!

Cher said...

I just love this girlish quilt, those butterflies really rock- it's all so well put together design elements etc...very special