Thursday, June 27, 2024

Mavis's Bird Quilt

A few days ago I got an email from Mavis. Her bird quilt, named "Who's Watching Who?" won 3rd Prize in her category at Quilt Canada. 

Mavis said she worked on her quilt for several years.

Mavis was thoughtful in her use of the fabrics that changed from being in the sun to being in the shadow. It's easy to forget this is patchwork, and the two reds in the bird's breast, above, are two completely different fabrics.

Mavis hid fun things in the quilting. She gave the binoculars the 'brand name' "I C You", as a play on the whole idea of the quilt - who is watching whom?

This quilt has so much to commend it. The creative birds, the concept, the surprises, all the things I love best about quilts. It's why I tell quiltmakers to make their own quilts. Wonderful things happen when you do.

Congratulations Mavis!


If you want to make birds, you can get my tutorial here, at my Etsy shop. 


 

2 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Congratulations to Mavis! What a wonderful, creative quilt.

Sue said...

I’m delighted! I love every bit of it. Thank you for sharing your pattern with us, your followers.