Saturday, October 16, 2021

Flowers & Color Choices

 

I went to the flower shop yesterday because I felt I needed a pick-me-up. Normally I can go into the walk-in cooler and pick what I like, but there was a leak so all I could do was stand at the door and point. I pointed because I didn't know the names of half the stuff. I started with the black dahlias and then chose the Solidago (my SIL helped me with the names later). Then I added the purple orchids (one of them is a branch that extends out to the side in front of Millie.) Next I chose the lavender Lisianthus and added the two Gingers (the big pink things at the top). I picked the misty statice (filler) and then added a yellow green hydrangea.

Adam, the florist, kept saying how beautiful the bouquet I had chosen was. I lamented I had forgotten to bring a vase. Adam offered to put it in a vase for me. OK, so I let him go do that, telling him I wanted it pretty as it it were up against a wall, so pretty on 3 sides. And I told him to add whatever he thought it needed, since he was a florist and I wasn't.

Now, there were at least eight different colors of roses, and lots of bright colorful Gerber daisies in the cooler. But I wanted different. I was drawn to the black dahlias and the yellow-green of the Solidago. Just like buying fabrics, I checked out everything that was there before I made my choices. Once I had decided those two things, I knew which direction I was going in, so I picked the orchids, the lavender flowers and went from there. Adam suggested a Stargazer lily, but I said no, because I knew it would take over, and I didn't want that. I picked the two pink ginger things. I also selected the various greenery. Later I realized I was selecting flowers the same way I shop for fabric.

Since I didn't know what anything was, I hadn't paid any attention to the price chart hanging on the wall. I was not particularly surprised when he said it was eighty bucks. Hell, I thought the thing was eighty kinds of spectacular, and it was FOR ME. 

What surprised me was that Adam kept saying how beautiful what I had chosen was. I mean, like, DUH! But when I thought about it later, I realized that most customers wouldn't be drawn to a deep blue violet / yellow green color combination, so that combination wasn't on his radar for "beautiful." 

He packed it all up in a box with filler around it, and wrapped it carefully, and actually carried it out to my car and gently placed it on the floor on the front passenger side of my car.

I had to pick up a prescription at the drugstore, so I went to the drive through. After I completed my transaction, the gal inside told me she thought my flowers were beautiful. I hadn't realized she could see them. That kinda made my day.

Then I went home and cut binding for four quilts, which I will show you tomorrow!
 

10 comments:

Nancy J said...

Beautiful, all over and all round.

Cherie in St Louis said...

I love different flowers and the ginger flowers, for me really set all those others off.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glad you didn’t go by the price list but went with your heart and eyes. Gorgeous!

Just Ducky said...

Miss Millie likes the flowers you brought her too.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is all about color, isn't it? Whether plants, flowers, fabric, paints, color is the star and motivator. Lovely flower bouquet.

Robby said...

Gorgeous and unique. I bet the florist got all kinds of ideas from your selections. Just because others wouldn't pick those doesn't mean they won't love them when they see them. Hope the flowers were the pick me up that was needed.

JustGail said...

It IS a beautiful bouquet! Seeing Millie looking so intently at them brings back a fond memory of my Mr. Leroy. He'd have had his face shoved right in the flowers sniffing so hard I'd wonder if he'd turn himself inside out. This bouquet on that little table - all would likely be on the floor in his determination to smell them. I learned to put any flowers brought in the house on the floor and let him have a good sniffing before putting them on the table. After that he'd usually leave them alone.

Jackie said...

The arrangement is stunning. Well done.

stitchinpenny said...

You are worth a beautiful bouquet. There may be more logical things to do with your money but they are beautiful flowers and bring you joy.

QuiltGranma said...

What a wonderful array of color, texture and variety! Miss Millie approved too!