Thursday, July 15, 2021

Murphy Visits

 You've all heard about Murphy's Law, right? Whenever something bad happens it will happen at the worst possible moment... or something like that.

Well on Sunday I was sewing two rows of my pink quilt together when some threads got jammed. I turned everything off, and took the cover off and tried to dislodge a thread that was stuck. It would not budge. I thought I fixed it, and finished sewing the seam, but looking at the seam I knew something was still wrong. It is past time to bring it for it's regular maintenance, so I packed it up, and got out my Bernina, and set it all up.

I sewed a row of blocks together, and then joined them and put them up on the design wall next to the others.

Can you see it? Let me make it bigger for you.

Yup. The row stitched on the Bernina doesn't match the two sewn on my Elna. (Now, let's not get carried away pulling hair out complaining THIS IS SO TERRIBLE or wondering WHY DID THIS HAPPEN, because that boat has sailed folks, and it makes no difference. We must move on to the solution with grace and patience because getting frustrated won't solve this problem.)

What to do? I can EITHER...

1. Take apart the row sewn on the Bernina, bring the Elna to be serviced and WAIT until it comes back to finish the pink quilt. (Now bear  in mind the repair shop is open Tuesday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM and Saturday 9 AM - 1 PM, meaning I can't get it to the shop before Saturday, and I'd have to wait two weeks to get it fixed.)

2. Take apart the two rows sewn on the Elna and continue sewing the whole thing on the Bernina.

Either way I have to rip something apart.

Now you all know me, and know that if I ain't sewing I ain't happy, so I will save you all some guesswork and tell you I have elected option #2. I have already taken the two rows apart, and taken the pieces apart in one row and have resewn them together on the Bernina. Works just fine. I have been sacked out on the couch watching The Chef's Table on Netflix with Millie purring beside me, so it's all good.

My big takeaway is that my pal Julie deserves accolades of THE HIGHEST ORDER for taking apart over 300 HST's in a quilt and resewing them into Partly Sunny. As we both noted (almost simultaneously while texting each other about this) if it's important enough, we will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

~ ~ ~

HOWEVER, my comments and yours about BIAS have got me thinking. I will definitely be devoting a blog post to the topic of the BIAS in quiltmaking. Just don't hold your breath waiting...


6 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love every part of quiltmaking...except ripping. When I have to do it, it is not a happy time. But if it makes something better, I will always choose it. Julie had me rip out a whole bunch of a quilt once, and she was right, but it was not fun. Hoping you can get your machne serviced soon. I sew on a stable of vintage Singers that I fix myself and don't miss the electronics. I have one 70s Bernina with a freearm and zigzag stitches.

JustGail said...

I've heard long ago to use the same machine (and rulers) for an entire quilt if possible. If not, to compare things sooner than later. Is it something I remember to do? Oh heck no :-) I hope you at least got all those bias edges together before the Elna decided it needs a spa day. Yes, Julie does deserve accolades for ripping 300+ HSTs.

Question on ripping bias edge seams - when I have to rip them, I've been holding the stitched part, and working toward my hand, so that when I pull on the thread, I'm not stretching the bias. Is this what you do, or is there a better method?

Can't wait to see your upcoming comments regarding bias

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for recognizing my taking-out-or-apart penchant. I've done plenty of it with the orphan block quilt I'm currently working on, too. Some quilts are worth it (other things not so much). Love the look of your pink HRTs - good luck with the Elna repair.

Michele in Harrisburg said...

I use and love my quarter inch foot. It works on both of my machines. Would that have made a difference for you? Just thinking out loud.

Michele in Harrisburg said...

And, yes, I realize needle position plays a key role there. Lol

Ann said...

I took all the sashing off my Shadow Star quilt and re-worked it. Lots of bias so I took even more time. As you note, we all do whatever it takes when the end product seems worthwhile. It will be interesting to read your bias tips.