Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Cut Up

These are the fabrics I selected for the new quilt. I wanted to have some colors other than blue in it, but I wanted it to be predominantly blue. That's the current plan. As usual, as I design the quilt, it may change.

I cut these wide strips on Sunday morning. I gave myself an hour in the studio (because I had other things to do) but in the end I worked for two hours, and got all the strips cut. Because the fabrics were folded, I had had to iron them first, so it took longer than if I had left them flat.

Later I went back into the studio and subcut the big strips into pieces. One of the things that is nice about the book is the accuracy and clarity of the cutting instructions. It makes a very efficient use of fabric.

This is not a complicated pattern. The shapes are simple. I stacked them up as I went along. 

At some point I looked up at the clock and knew that I wanted to finish cutting the pieces even though I was tired and my legs hurt from standing.

I did get all the pieces cut. (woo hoo).  Unlike the curves, I am eager to get started sewing this together.

2 comments:

Hubblebird said...

Hi Lynne. Really looking forward to how this comes together and I will be eagerly following your process, as usual. I think I actually prefer this to the curves idea, and I'm not really sure why. I recently completed a quilt top and referred any readers to your post about loving the rhythm of the repetition in your pieced christmas boxes because I finally realised why I was so attracted to the quilt blocks that I made. It was the repetition. I thought of inserting some of your bird blocks into my butterfly quilt (ala your christmas boxes) but decided against it in favour of repeating the repetition but I have your tutorial and my next quilt will use your birds for the first time.

QuiltGranma said...

What a beautiful collection of fabrics you have there! I know you will have fun playing with them.