Thursday, January 21, 2021

Santa Flies

 

Longtime readers may recognize this Santa music box I bought over 20 years ago

He has long attracted a lot of love and attention. The first year Millie lived with me as an extremely  precocious kitten, she loved him. (sigh).

I bought him over 20 years ago. He was horrifically expensive back then. I saw him in a music box store I visited with a friend of mine. The store was full of "cute" and corny music boxes, all frilly, frothy and overdone. We all know how much I hate, loathe and despise anything "cute" (except for little girls, kittens and puppies.) He was at the back of the store, on a high glass shelf. I could see the price tag stuck to the base. $75.00. I could absolutely NOT afford him. He was a "country" Santa. I didn't much like "country" either, but this guy was really really handsome. I looked and looked. I left.


I went back to the store three times to look at him, which was saying a lot, because the store was at "The Mall" and I hated The Mall. I never went near The Mall between Thanksgiving and New Year's because the place was always packed to the gills and finding a parking space was ridiculous.

On the third visit, I told a clerk how much I loved him. I mean, I walked into the store STRAIGHT to the back where he was, not looking at anything else until I got there. It was pretty obvious I was taken with the guy. "We do have lay-a-way." I put down a small deposit. The week before Christmas I brought him home. My son was a teenager at the time and had grave misgivings. 

He got over them eventually and finally admitted it was the only one of my Christmas decorations he wanted. I took great care of the Santa and he was always the first of the Holiday decorations to be put out, and the last to be put away.

When we FaceTimed on Christmas day, and I showed him to my granddaughter, she was enthralled. She loved him as much as I did. Well. There was only one thing to do. I had enjoyed him for over 20 years, and it was time for Santa to make more memories. So I packed him up and brought him to the shipping department at my company. It cost me more to ship him to the City of Angels than I paid for him all those years ago.

My granddaughter was absolutely overjoyed.

Oddly enough, so was I.

13 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a beautiful post - Little Miss is growing up so fast!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Passing on what we love is an integral part of relationships that are meaningful. She will always remember it.

Just Ducky said...

Family heirlooms, making memories for many years to come.

Quilting Babcia said...

And someday she will pass this wonderful heirloom down to her own daughter or granddaughter, passing the torch of family love along with it. Better to pass along these family treasures while we're still alive to see the joy they can bring to the eyes of our children and grandbabies.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, how I love this story! Thank you for sharing. Bless you!

MissPat said...

Well, that's a happy ending. When I read the title, I was afraid that Santa had taken a flying leap somehow and ended up seriously damaged. Good to know he has a new home where he will be cherished for years.
Pat

Joyce said...

The Santa is such a treasure. Such a wonderful act of love.

The Selvage Fairy said...

What does he play?

Poppy Q said...

Oh Lynne I love that Santa will be treasured for another 20 years and more.

Poppy Q said...

Just thinking that you should print out this story and comments, laminate it and send it to your son to keep with the Santa?, so the story is not lost. So many of our families treasures have been lost as the oldies have died and the stories have gone with them.

Julie

Diane Koch said...

What a neat story. Thanks for sharing!

QuiltGranma said...

Where are the emoji's here for a pile of hearts full of love?

Sally Langston Warren said...

What a precious story! I agree with Julie’s comment above that perhaps it would be a good idea to print/laminate this post and give to your son to keep with the music box so the story will not be lost. These are the best heirlooms....and wasn’t that the best gift to give?!