Sunday, November 22, 2020

Real Life Check In

 I'm fine.

I haven't really got anything quilty going on at the moment. I should be hand sewing binding, but I'm just not in the mood.

A mandatory mask mandate has been implemented in my state, and two of my close friends stayed home from work last week because colleagues were exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid-19. Two of my coworkers back at the office have tested positive and are now in quarantine. Precautions back at the office have been tightened. Clearly I am not going back to work at the office any time soon.

 In fact, I'm not going ANYWHERE any time soon. I'm planning to stay at home, and by myself for the next couple of weeks. No grocery runs, no nothing.

So I decided to tackle the two boxes of stuff I brought home from the office back in July. I sorted through the office supplies, and put those on my WFH  desk. Like most women, I had a small package of personal stuff - comb, aspirin, mug, dining utensils, toothbrush, toothpaste, safety pins, nail file, stockings, etc. I put all that away. I then consolidated everything else into one box, and moved it to a spot where it wasn't in the way.

Since my WFH desk took over my home desk, all my stuff had got stuffed to one side, and papers had been accumulating to near avalanche levels. So I spent Saturday morning going through all of that, shredding and sorting. Now that room looks a lot better and I no longer feel guilty looking at all that paperwork.

I've also given in to the inevitable and started bringing out the holiday stuff. I brought out the fussy silvery pillows for the couch, and I've put the Red Sticks quilt over the back of the couch. I'll bring out holiday decorations a little bit at a time.

 

Speaking of holidays, I'm having Thanksgiving for One here at Chez Tyler. I'm going to cook a rock cornish game hen, a tiny bit of stuffing, some mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, carrots or a green vegetable as yet to be determined. I started making a list of dishes I would normally cook for the family (thinking I would cook small portions of each) and then looked at it and thought, I'll never eat all that. I do plan to FaceTime with my mom and her partner for dinner, so I won't eat alone. I'll do the same with my son later in the day.

 

One final note, my show at the New England Quilt Museum has been postponed until 2022. I'm relieved. More details as they become available.


13 comments:

Joyce said...

The red quilt is so striking! You’re being so good to yourself for Thanksgiving - enjoy!

Nancy J said...

Enjoy your meal and the Facetime chats, being alone can sometimes be what we others crave for, and not facing a drive each morning and night, specially in the winter, is a big bonus. Red is lovely and cheery.

Mickey's Musings said...

Yup, getting scary again. Good plan to stay safe.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Nancy and Julie(the black cat)

MissPat said...

I'm thankful to read and hear that most of my online quilting friends are being sensible and cautious and staying at home. We've also canceled our 2 month trip to FL and will spend the winter in delightful western NY.

Just Ducky said...

Please stay safe Auntie Lynne. Purrs to Miss Millie.

earthmotherwithin said...

Sounds like a good plan. Stay safe!

The Selvage Fairy said...

If you need anything, you know who to call.

stitchinpenny said...

Happy you are safe and working to stay that way.

Lynda said...

I have been a single stay at home since March and boy is it getting old. thank goodness for electronics. My grandchildren are 2500 miles away and I have spent every thanksgiving with them since their birth nine years ago (triplets). In addition I always took them shopping for their Christmas clothes and we have been making christmas cookies together, each of them pouring through their moms cookbooks and choosing what they wanted to make. I am staying home this year so I can enjoy future Thanksgivings with them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good sensible solid plans - sometimes it stinks being a responsible grown up. But in this case it really can become a matter of life and death so KUDOS to you for being smart.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It took me a minute to think about what WFH meant but I figured it out in context. Working from home does take a lot of space and juggling of our personal belongings. My desk is a big jumble of work from home stuff. personal business, and craft supplies. I will be doing a cleanout soon too. You have great plans - I am glad you are still treating yourself and are able to spend time virtually with your family. That red sticks quilt is quite striking.

Ruth said...

Red Sticks Quilt sent me thinking of candycane sticks all tilted every which way, so interesting. Glad to hear your show has been postponed. I am hoping to travel up there to see it and visit my friends in NH. One is a quilter too. Your mention of finally going through stuff you brought home in July makes me feel better about not having done much this summer. I love to see your quilts!

Ann said...

Hooray for everyone who is staying home this year so we can have future years together. We have two virtual meetings planned.
Sorting my house this summer was a worthwhile chore as we recycled many obsolete items. This year is the perfect time to to stop, look, remember, and reduce.