Monday, March 9, 2020

When The Universe Laughs at You

Have you ever been working on something and you look over and see something so freaking perfect it was as if it was MEANT TO BE and your only job is to put it together and take the credit. It might have been sitting there all along nudging your brain, but you had decided X and this was most assuredly Y and you were NOT GOING THERE because you had ALREADY DECIDED.

Well. The universe decided to have some fun with me the other day.


I was cleaning up in the studio and part of that is finishing some things so I can get them out of the way. The easiest thing for me was to prepare the gray fabric for the back of the Partly Sunny quilt of HST's that Julie had made. I got the backing ready, and then spread it out on the floor to trim the excess. Then I got up and took a look.

oh.

"Wouldn't this have made a pretty border?" I texted Julie. "But it's too late now. This is the quilt lying on top of the prepared backing."

"Why is it too late?" Julie replied, "Looks fabulous."

This was not what I expected Julie to say. "So you like it as a border? Right now there is 6" all the way around. I actually like it that wide. Let me try adding a bit of yellow in between..."

While I rummaged in the studio Julie texted back, "I like it at 6", now it looks finished."

I slipped some yellow behind the quilt and on top of the backing. As soon as I saw it I knew it didn't belong there.

"Nope" was Julie's response when I sent her the picture.

Glad we were in agreement, I went into the studio and cut up my backing and added 6-1/2" wide strips to each side of the quilt, making sure to line up the pattern on the border fabric so it all went in the same direction, giving the illusion the triangles are floating on top of it.

It's the strangest thing, though, how that wide gray really sets the quilt off so beautifully. Julie and I agreed that the binding would have to be the same as the border so it would disappear.

NOW all I have to do (you know, that pesky little "all") is find a backing for this and then I'll be good to go. For the record I loved the quilt before, but I REALLY love it now.

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

You and Julie work wonderful "long distance" quilts. Love it !!

Linda Swanekamp said...

The border contains all of the energy of the HSTs. That is a good thing. The fabric is perfect for the border especially because it lets the yellow stay in the center front. I am sure you will be able to find a great backing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Some things were just meant to be. Glad we figured it out before it really was too late.

Elle said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

I have 2 friends I can do gut checks with and the honesty is wonderful. I ALWAYS trust a disagreement on my choices!

Yea for you and Julie!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh, wow! Totally think the universe has been watching over this quilt the entire time what with the small design diversion (eh hem) and route to get back on track. It is fabulous with the backing border :-)

Fabric Fanatic said...

Meant to be!!! I'm so glad you threw it down and tested the flimsy on top of it. You just know, don't you? I love this one so much.