Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Home Office

I am now officially, and for the foreseeable future, working from home. It was a decision that we all wanted, but there are parts of my job that are not "work from home" practical. But the pros and cons got weighed and my CEO said he'd rather I was home. After that, it was just pack up the car and go.

I was surprised how ambivalent I felt about it. As I packed up my notes, the company's printer, raided the company's office supply closet, and loaded the car, I felt more and more like a crook. My stomach was in knots.

I know I will like the commute. The office is at the opposite end of my house from my sewing studio, and it means when I am in the rest of the house, I don't have the work stuff staring at me, so I can keep those two areas of my head separate.

I know I will like the dress code. No more dress pants, nylons and flats. Jeans and stocking feet, here I come.

I know I will like that I can sleep a bit longer in the morning. I know I will like not having to wait for the microwave when I want to heat up a bowl of soup at lunchtime. I know I will enjoy hearing classical music all day long.

I know I will be lonely, but I also know I can still email or call my work buddies, and I know I will be in almost constant contact with some of them.

Still.


"Be here when I get back," I told the CEO before I left.

8 comments:

Nancy J said...

A landscape on the wall, lovely red desk top, and the commute, SO easy. I guess there will be thousands in this position, our daughter and son-in-law are both having their work offices at home, a huge challenge for those who like the real contact with colleagues. But the extra time will be put to good use, I'm sure.

Pat said...

I'm retired now, but I worked from home for 8 years before doing so. Definite advantages re: commute, microwave exclusivity at lunchtime, and dress code. But you are right, rubbing elbows is the missing element. Good luck. I hope America can get back to normal sometime soon. Unfortunately, I think we are facing a redefining of normal.

Ann said...

It's tough but we have more ways to keep in touch with technology. Social distancing is working here. The disease is progressing but seems to have slowed. Our hospitals can keep up. That's worth all the inconvenience.

Just Ducky said...

Hard, but best for all of you health wise. Good that you can isolate the office to a small part of your home, then ignore it for the rest of the day. Plus on a break you can wander to the studio, have a stress break by petting Millie.

Stay healthy.

JustGail said...

I hope you get your work from home routine settled. Apparently, it's one of those things that seems like it should be easy, but in reality, not really. At least you have a separate area for working. So many need to try and wedge into other areas of their home.

It's odd, I love blue way more than orange or yellow, yet it's those brightly colored versions of this quilt that make me happier. Not dissing this quilt, just an observation. Come to think of it, I don't use much blue at all for home decoration, but the wardrobe is full of blue...

patty a. said...

Your set up looks good! I opened my home office 3/19/2020. Since then which I had brought home my laptop, monitor, and a scanner, I added a printer that I had saved from a previous project. It is so old that if I want to print something I have to copy the file onto a thumbdrive then plug the thumbdrive into my personal laptop I bought in 2009 then I can print. My work laptop won't recognize the printer that is at least 15 years old. I works like a charm after I got the right cable to hook it up. LOL!! I am a loner anyway so being by myself is ok. Like you I love the commute, no waiting for the microwave, and there is never a line to the bathroom! I am just grateful that I still have a job - really grateful. Take care and be safe.

Quiltdivajulie said...

If any of your folks have Zoom, you'll be able to video chat with them which might ease the loneliness of not being at the office. Otherwise, I think you will like this set up quite a bit. None of us like being housebound, but you are SO right about the commute!

QuiltGranma said...

"I'll be here when I get back"... THAT would make a great quilt to make to represent this quarantine!