Wednesday, December 4, 2019

58 Carats Sewn Up!

This is the Fifty-Eight Carats quilt all sewn up. It's amazing how much the fabrics and colors "blend" so much better when it's sewn up.

I sent a picture to my son and his reply was immediate. "Tell me about the solid black parts." This is where photographs don't work so well. This is not a solid black fabric. It's actually a dark blue batik with gold squares printed on it. I am using the wrong side. It is DARK, which I wanted, but not SOLID BLACK, which I did not want. You can see better in the photo above.

Years ago I read a story and in the story was an art teacher from the late 1800's who wanted to make a quilt. The quilt "looked like it fell out of a kaleidoscope" and that description reminds me of this quilt. I didn't set out to make a quilt that looked like it fell out of a kaleidoscope, but that's the kind of stuff that happens when you let a design develop on it's own and respond to what's happening in front of you.

12 comments:

Dorothy said...

Love it !! So many things look better once they are sewn together. Amazing what that 1/4" seam allowance can accomplish :-) But then, you already knew that, right ! :-)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I really, really love the quilt- the fabrics themselves, the values, the black batik, the design- everything works together for such a wonderful quilt.

Unknown said...

Absolutely Beautiful. This struck my interest the minute I laid y eyes on it . Where can you get the pattern ?

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOL to the previous comment. This is a stunning work - worth all the editing and changing and stash acquisition - you definitely "made it work."

Rebecca said...

Oh My... this one sorta sucks you in. Love the way it pulls you in and then broadens into outer reaches so to speak.

Robby said...

This is gorgeous. I can only imagine how much more vibrant it is in person. I think your patience in letting things work themselves out has been an excellent reinforcement of that concept for me. When I was not sure if I liked something as a child/teen, my dad would advocate to let it lie and come back to look at it later. You've writ that large, and beautifully.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is beautiful and worth every minute you spent perfecting it!

Carol said...

I have followed your posts about these quilts and love these large diamond shapes. So much so, I just added that Hex n More ruler to my Christmas list and maybe Santa will bring it!

Christine said...

This is beyond description! Could I talk you into giving it to me?!

Millie said...

Unknown 1: Go back to the November 16 post and read forward. Everything I make is original and one of a kind, and not from a pattern.

Unknown 2: Uh, no.

Cabindoggie said...

I've been following this since the original post. Generally not a fan of modern or large prints, but this is absolutely stunning and I'd steal it in a heartbeat! Well done.

Janet said...

It is beautiful, as are all of your diamond quilts.