Saturday, October 19, 2019

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Before I went to bed Thursday night, I had this, and I thought it was damned close to perfect.

Wanda had a suggestion. She wasn't sure it would work, but she thought I should try moving the two big spotty light prints up higher (the one with the green shamrocks and the one with the big light blue dots.) I thought, I can do that...

I didn't like it. For one thing, now those two pieces were close to other big prints and I didn't think it worked well at all.

So I rearranged them. Now they are at an angle and I like it better, and there aren't too many big prints in the same area. But I noticed the top had a place that was too light and needed to be fixed.



Four hours, dinner, a little bit of reading and I had this. Problem was, now there are two blocks in the top row that look like an entry point, and many of the others in that row just look too dark.

Another hour, and edging close to midnight, I had this. I think it's OK. I also tinkered with the darks in the upper right corner. I still have two blocks that are kind of light in the middle of the top row, but the whole top row doesn't look quite so heavy. They look worse in the camera than in real light. There are also two light blocks that make a clear horizontal divide between them and what's above, but I had that before. I've been tinkering with that area for days, and it's past my bedtime so I'll look at it tomorrow in natural light and see what hits me.

Right now I'm looking forward to my head hitting my pillow.

9 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

If someone has not tried making one of these, they have no clue how hard tweaking is. One of the floral ones I made, I hung in the hall. What I thought was perfect, now I see what else I should have moved, but now it is all quilted. Guess I have to make another one. Yours is stunning.

Quiltdivajulie said...

You'll get it - just be patient and don't move too many squares at one time (again, ask me how I know).

mamacita007 said...

I have never made one of these so hesitate to comment, but when I was making a quilt and needed to re-arrange blocks for value purposes, I took a black and white photo with my phone and it made all the difference in positioning the blocks. When you get eye level close to a quilt you see all the colors, but when you back way up you see what an exquisite quilt you have made. Just a thought...it is beautiful!

Karen said...

I see a heart that kind of reverberates!! I don't usually care for colorwash that much, but I like this one!

Debby Gorman said...

You are an artist! It’s beautiful

DonnaleeQ said...

Oh my, it is lovely. Makes one a little dizzy trying to get it just right, but you did it. Beautiful

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I know the photo doesn't give us the reality view and it is beautiful in the photo.

Ann said...

These are very difficult to get exactly right. And indoor lighting doesn't help.

Nancy said...

I love watercolor quilts. The best one I ever made had an elderly non-quilting male friend who was color blind helping me. He had a wonderful time and his ability to see lights and darks was way better than anyone else I have ever worked with.
He is gone now but I think of him every time I look at that quilt.