Sunday, June 16, 2019

Nada = Nothing. Nunca = Never.

I took Spanish when I was in high school and I know NADA doesn't mean NO, it means NOTHING, which means it isn't really working with the NOs in the Not Paper Pieced quilt.

NUNCA, however, means NEVER, and that IS appropriate for the quilt. So NADA is out and NUNCA is in.

Thus began an afternoon full of NOs and a lot of shuffling.

I rearranged the NOs so I could get a sense of what different colors of NOs I might want and how I would work out the corners.

The grouchy lady at the sewing machine and the pincushion are both gone. From the beginning I knew that if I made the bottom row of NOs upside down, they would still read as NO even though you'd have to use the N of one word and the O of another to do it.

 I also knew I wanted to include the French word for NO, which is NON. Used at the bottom of the quilt, it would read the same right side up as upside down.  I like to keep my viewers guessing.

4 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

LOL....thanks, Lynn for keeping me on my toes. It seems that once I reached a "certain age" I became not only invisible to many, but I also became a challenge to the grocer who seems to delight in moving everything routinely just to keep me on my toes. I love this quilt and envision you stamping your foot for emphasis.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such an engaging process to watch. Painless for me- you are doing all the work.

Phyllis in Iowa said...

I'm always impressed with your creativity and willingness to work with the quilt until both of you are pleased.
That said, the space between the words Paper and Pieced creates confusion in
my brain. One eye wants to look up and the other, down. You may have intended this reaction. I have dyslexia, dysgraphia and a couple other "dys-es" that may cause me to see this differently from others.

Cathy said...

I just love watching your creative process for this quilt. And the colors are yummy. But all those upside down no’s look like “on”s to me. Or, even worse, my brain sees “onion” .