Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Reading

 
I am reading Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe, about "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland. You can read about it anywhere. I have not got a drop of Irish in me, but I read the review in the New York Times and had to read it.

It is absorbing and terrifying, and agonizing and ultimately sad. I cannot put it down, yet I cannot read more than two or three chapters in a day because... well, it's intense.

I remember the hunger strikes when Bobby Sands died. I remember Bloody Sunday and the Good Friday Agreement. I remember Stephen Rea and The Crying Game. I remember conversations with friends about the IRA and Gerry Sands. It's enlightening. It's sad.

~ ~ ~



So, that and I've been working on the letters tute and OMG, my Beta Posse of Quilters so gung ho and excited! They are WAY ahead of me. I prepared a basic outline that included photos of how I make the letters and then I started explaining how in the first five or six, and already they were working their way right past me. One even STARTED with the Q, which I think is the hardest letter. (Well, actually I have a hard time with the D, but go figure.) They are already giving advice, calling out typos and offering suggestions. So much fun. The thing is already at 69 pages and I have yet to discuss kerning, lining up the letters so they are straight, numbers or lower case letters. So this project is humming right along.


1 comment:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Kudos to you for tackling an intense and troubling book. And HOORAY for the gung-ho beta testers!