Friday, January 25, 2019

Getting Millie to the Vet

Living with a feral cat has been a real adjustment. I had to give up the idea of Millie ever being a traditional "house cat." When I adopted her I had the mistaken notion that she would "warm up." After some research I realized that would never happen. Millie was well past twelve weeks old when she was rescued. If I wanted Millie to like me, I had to earn her trust, and that meant not trying to get close to her at all.



I learned to watch her, and figure out how she felt by watching her body language. I learned not to pet her unless she knew I was there. I learned not to block her path when I went into a room. I learned not to close the door to any room she was in. If I encountered her coming toward me, I often deliberately looked away, pretending to ignore her.

She was a real cutie. She has always been incredibly curious. She'd watch me sew or wash dishes or make the bed. And she was and still is, smart as a whip.

When I had to bring her to the vet to get spayed, the vet office suggested I start putting her food in the cat carrier, but push it farther in each day. The idea was that someday she'd get all the way in, and then I could close the door behind her.  Sounds like a good idea, right?

Fat chance.

Millie wouldn't even get near the case if I was in the house. But finally we did it and I got her to the vet.

A year later it was time for her annual checkup. I brought the cat carrier out and tried it again, but Millie just looked at me like I was stupid (which to her, I was!) She wouldn't get near it. That year I succeeded by cornering her in the bathroom.

The next year, of course, she wouldn't even go NEAR the bathroom.

And that's how it went. Usually I wore myself out chasing her around the house, knocking over furniture trying to grab her. It was never good.

Dr Lewis (above) suggested that when I pet her, I should stop before she gets tense and moves away. "You stop first," Dr Lewis said. "That way she thinks, 'hey, that was nice, why did you stop?' and she'll be more likely to seek you out." And that has happened.

A few years later, he was petting her after her examination. "Usually with a feral cat, you can pet her from her head to her shoulders, and that's it."

"Oh no, I give her full pets, from her head, all the way down her back and to the end of her tail."

"That's highly unusual. She must really trust you."

"Sometimes when I pet her, I let my had drift to her feet, or sometimes I'll just brush up against one of her feet. I pretend it's an accident."

"Why would you do that? Feral cats hate being touched there."

"Well, I want her to know that sometimes I might brush up against her feet and that nothing bad will happen."

"You've done a very good job with her. You have a tame feral cat."


Millie is microchipped so if she ever gets out, there is some chance I would get her back. If anybody was able to catch her, of course.

One year she was sitting next to me on the bed and I was able to simply reach over lift her up before she knew what was happening and jam her into the crate. Sounds good, right? But she never sat next to me on the bed ever again.


There's a note in Millie's file at the vet that all her appointments are to be considered "f-l-e-x-i-b-l-e" until she actually appears.

Eventually she learned to stick her legs out so I couldn't even get her in the carrier if I got a grip on her, and I bought a dog crate.

I've learned to manage my stress on the days I have to bring her to the vet. I try to be very cool and not anxious. That way I can just grab her quickly and toss her in the crate.  Generally it means that now we get to all vet appointments rather early.  She meows and lets me know she is unhappy. She's not exactly thrilled about the car ride either, even though we're only about a mile away from the vet.

However, once she gets to the vet, she is an absolute lady. She doesn't hiss or growl or fight.  She's not thrilled, but she's good.

But the most absolutely, totally, completely annoying thing? 

At the end of the examination, she hops right into the cat carrier all on her own!**

So where is Millie as I sit writing this post? Right next to me. 



**(Yes, I bring them both. Once she's in the exam room, I bring the crate back out to the car and bring the cat carrier back to the office.)



16 comments:

Mickey's Musings said...

Our Treasure was like that.
While he loved pats, he always seemed to know when he was being "sought".
He could really run too.
Glad Millie is relaxing with you now ;)
Purrs Georgia,Julie and JJ

Poppy Q said...

Miss Pops is almost the same. I bring the carrier out the week before and just leave it open on the spare bed. On the day of the appointment I give her a little less food so she is usually waiting to be fed. I try and just leave her alone and wait til she curls up for a snooze then I just grab her and pop her into the carrier. Like Miss M - she climbs back into her carrier as soon as the vet is finished ready to go home.

She is not fond of lots of pats, but will sometimes come and lie on me at night for all of 5 minutes then goes off to sleep in her own bed/bag.

Good on you Miss M.

Megan said...

Did she get another "perfect score" from the vet this year?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Just Ducky said...

Good job Millie, I don't like getting in the carrier either. Mum has a carrier that has top that opens since she can't get me in the door. She opens the top, turns me upside down! That way I can't spread my legs to block the opening.

I loves getting pets. Top, bottom, feets, ears, you name it.

sewmadd said...

God Bless you for taking the time to love Millie on her terms. She is a very lucky kitty to have you in her life.

Robby said...

This is so interesting to read about. At the vet's office, the familiar place (carrier) she associates with you probably feels safer than anything else. Or, she's messing with you, because she's a cat.

Our cats also disliked their carriers. We came downstairs to say goodbye to them before a trip and they flew to hide the in the basement and we couldn't get them to come out for anything. Eventually, we had to leave and hope they'd come out for their care provider while we were gone. When we got home they came to see us immediately, until my carry-on bag came in the house. It was after they ran off again that we realized it was the same general size and color as their carriers. After that, all luggage went directly to the car and never stopped between the bedroom and the door. Everyone was much happier.

KathyW 0304 said...

A trick that our wonderful vet taught us was to put the cat into the carrier back end first. They cannot protest nearly as much and it has worked everytime for us. Also if at all possible leave the cat carrier out at all times and maybe even put a towel or blanket into it to invite her to purrhaps take a nap or two inside. It will help her get used to it and not only associate it with a trip outside the house. All of our cats enjoy sleeping in them, especially when they are in a patch of sunlight. Not that taking them to the vet is stress free but the experience is less stressful - for all involved. Just a thought.....

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing the story about Millie.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a terrific post -- Millie has presented you with numerous challenges but she is one of the luckiest cats I know to have you for her human. Together the two of you are a force to be reckoned with!!

Susie Q said...

Very interesting post. There are three-four feral cats who eat next door and who live under my shed. Not to my liking but the neighbor did not want them to go to the shelter, etc. And since I like the neighbor we do it her way. The first year I caught a couple of them and the city neutered and gave them shots. It was such a hassle and neighbor's husband was sooo bla about what was involved to trap the cats I wrote it off and pray that the cats stay away from my dogs....

Sharon said...

My kitty Shade was a feral kitten. He was born in our wood pile, and was almost starved when my son caught him. He was 5 - 6 weeks old, and has adjusted pretty well. He's very lovey with my DH and I, and he liked my son until he got a dog. He is terrified of the dog and the doorbell and strangers, and pretty much everything else! He is almost 16 now and is still just as scared as ever. Yes the trip to vet is an ordeal. It never gets any better. And moving house with him was a true adventure - tough on all of us! But he loves his pets and hugs. He comes and sits on me every night -of course, treats help!
One thing I've learned is that there is a pheremone spray (Feliway) that I spray in the carrier and on his towel, and that helps with some the vet trip anxiety. But he's never gonna like it!
Millie is lucky that you understand her and her limits and you're willing to live with that. You're a good kitty mom!

BatikFanatic said...

Nice to hear this part of Millie's story. One of my 4 is an 18-year-old feral-in-the-house who arrived as part of a multi-cat adoption following the death of their previous humans. To say she is quirky is grossly understating matters, but she's become much less hostile in our nine years together. Which is to say I haven't been bitten lately. She will accept brief petting (as you said, shoulders and back of head) and comes to bed to sleep on me sometimes. I consider this great progress. Kate is an interesting little cat, we seem to have struck our "bargain", and I would never consider "getting rid" of her (as some have suggested). She's welcome to share my home for as long as she's here.

Hubblebird said...

Our dogs hate going to the vet. We found a mobile vet who comes to us! Much less stress and he is brilliant.

Unknown said...

I to have a semi feral cat in my house. My son found her on his farm at 4 months. we brought her to our house with 3 other cats and i think that has helped her but she is very skittish and when we get home from work we just know not to touch her for about a half hour til she gets used to us again. We do not pick her up or try and hold her. I can trim her nails which she is very good about cause she gets caught on our blanket. She gets super cuddly at night when it's dark. she will lay on me now and pur like crazy but only when it's dark. She is 4 now and has settled down alot.when our oldest grand daughter comes over she doesn't run upstairs anymore.

Karen said...

I really appreciate you sharing about your trips to the vet with Millie. A dog crate is a great idea!!! I will be going to pick one up soon! My cat can't wait to get into the carrier at the vet's either! Thanks for the great tips and it's nice to know that there is hope and I'm not the only one struggling with it.
Karen

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

cali would curse like a sailor all the way to the vet and back, her voice increasing and the words getting trashier and trashier! I can only imagine the things she was going to do to us once we went to sleep!
glen