Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Rip & Replace


I've told you how making this quilt happens one piece at a time, and even then it isn't a done deal. I got up the other morning and this was on the design wall from the night before, but there was something bothering me about it.

(Note: the dark area on the top of the pictures is a shadow. The quilt isn't really that dark.)

 
After looking at it, (really LOOKING) I realized what made the quilt looked so "lost" was there weren't any dark areas anchoring it down on the lower part of the quilt. The two Art Noveauish big diamonds weren't pulling their weight. They had to go and be replaced with something that read "darker."

So I changed them. I rejiggered a few other pieces, and shuffled around some of the small four patches, and this is where it sits right now.

I have more four patch diamonds to make (I need about ten more on each outer edge) and they won't be where they are now. I need them as a kind of a guide to place the medium diamonds, to help me figure out what works and what doesn't. For example, the medium diamonds that have a white background don't fit, but ones that have a cream background are OK.

Julie and I have been texting back and forth about all of this, and she's sending more of her fabrics for the medium diamonds that I have found to be most successful. We've also ordered more of one of our giant prints, and one other, so I am far from done.

Here's the thing. We both know what I have (photo above) is GOOD, but I know it can be BETTER, so that's what we're going for. So this is going to sit right here for a few days.



2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Waiting for the mail delivery so I can edit the contents and hurry the new pieces onward to your studio!!

stitchinpenny said...

Still waiting for the diamonds that I am not really seeing work to work better to my eye, which I know will happen as you progress. I don't have your artistic eye, but I appreciate your work. I have seen things go from "i don't get it" to "I love it" on this blog so I think it will happen.