Saturday, December 16, 2017


I sewed all the vertical rows together and started sewing the rows into pairs. But there was something about this layout that always bugged me. See the vertical row on the far left? It starts and ends with a full diamond. Now look over at the vertical row at the far right. It starts and ends with a half block. Stuff like that really annoys me.  I could add another vertical row, but that would mean the quilt would be 66" x 72", which is not quite square. Which also annoyed me I really wanted this quilt to be VERTICAL rows of diamonds. Anyway, I got all the rows up on the wall and suddenly the quilt just looked too short.

So I got down on the floor with my extra slab triangles and the side triangles and added a row at the bottom. Now every row has a full diamond at one end and a half diamond at the other. If I sew this up, the quilt will be 60" x 78", which maintains its vertical orientation.

I'm much happier with this now. I'll get this all sewn together this weekend and see where it's at.

This just goes to show you that you can PUSH an idea around even (and especially) when you think you're all done with it.

Oh, I got the Christmas tree decorated too.


Linda Swanekamp said...

Great example of how to take the time to think and reflect on what we are doing. Glad you put the brakes on and followed through.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Much better than before -- congrats on getting the tree decorated, too.

Shasta Matova said...

It does look more balanced now. I'll have to remember that idea. I was thinking you would need to add a column and not a row. Glad you have the tree decorated.


Sometimes it does pay to take the time to think. I will be looking forward to your letter tutorials. Have a great time off.