Sunday, October 29, 2017

Barn Builders

These were the lovely ladies in the barn building class at Quilted Threads on Saturday. They worked hard and had a great time. (That's Julie Sefton's quilt, See Rock City, behind them. One student remarked. "You know, I have the book, and looking at the pictures in the book, I thought the quilt was okay, but in real life, oh my god, that quilt is AMAZING!"  Yeah, that's why I think everybody in the area should make an effort to come by and see it.)

 .


 .


.


.

I love teaching. I hear the best things. One student said, at the end of the class. "I don't like my barn. It's not what I want." She looked at me and grinned. "Of course, this morning I didn't know what I wanted, and I didn't know how to do any of this, couldn't work without a pattern and didn't think I'd be able to finish. Now I know what I want and I know how to do it."

"So I guess that means it was a good day," I asked?

"Yeah, It was frustrating, but I learned a lot. It was a good class."

Bear in mind, all these students came in with photos of REAL barns they wanted to interpret in fabric, a task MUCH harder than simply building a generic barn.

After I demonstrated how to sew a 1/8" line one student looked at me and said, "Now that's a takeaway that was worth the cost of the whole class. And that's the SECOND one I've got so far." I felt pretty good hearing that, because it wasn't even noon.

It was also nice to have one student tell me, "You are a REALLY good teacher, and that's rare."

Yup. It was a good day for me too.

 

4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Good teachers are rare. Wish I was closer than Buffalo, NY. I have the barn book and saw the quilt at AQS Syracuse, but have not been brave enough to try it. I love all of your work. I bought the birds and the butterfly. Made some birds, just bought the butterfly.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What an excellent post! I've seen you at work in the classroom and you ARE a good teacher. Kudos to your students for sharing their reactions with you. (and thanks for sharing them with us!)

Ann said...

Congratulations.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Oh my gosh.....I want to fly out there and take a class with you!!!!