Monday, March 3, 2014

The Big W

I usually make my W's very w-i-d-e, but I wanted to try one that was very tall.



In Art School, I studied Lettering and Calligraphy for a year. We were told to keep a morgue - a scrapbook of lettering samples that interested us. I've long since lost mine, but I do keep my eyes open.


Regular readers know how much I love to watch tennis on TV while I sew. Last year I saw a big tall W used at Wimbledon.



What attracted me to it was the bottoms were not trimmed off, that each leg of the W ended in a sharp point.



So of course I had to try to make one (or two) myself.


2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I sketched mine out using sharp pointed bottoms, too! Your two are awesome . . .

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

The most bizarre thing happened: Early this morning I had a complicated dream involving my red-haired grandson Nate, some sort of event in a church hall, and a booth where for unclear reasons LETTERS were available. And Nate wanted a W. And the one he picked was the one on the right! I recognized it immediately.