Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My First Quilts

I'm working on my speech for Quintessential Quilts 2013, which is less than two weeks away.  I've found some photos of my earliest quilts.  Here's the first quilt I ever made


I had a hard time finding 100% cottons way back then. Oranges were hard to find, and purple was nonexistent.


This is a Road to Oklahoma variation. Even back then I was breaking rules and doing my own thing.  Cotton fabrics were all small chintz's back then. Certainly dull by today's standards.


I made a lot of quilts to sell back then, and I made a few of these sailboats. I got tired of lining them up in regular rows.

5 comments:

Judy in Michigan said...

You were a rebel back then - good for you and for perfecting that trait!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are right, the old calicoes were pretty boring but at the time we had no choices other than them and solid colors. I was so happy when larger prints were available.

Terri said...

Your beginnings are my aspirations. Thanks for showing them.
Hugs

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh how far you have travelled!!

Mary K said...

I am a bit old fashioned. I still love calico prints. Now they are vintage and I get them cheap at quilt shows.
Love your early quilts.