Saturday, September 7, 2013

Backing & Binding

I'll be bringing the three Crayon flimsies with me to St Louis in October so I can show them to the students in the workshop. Afterwards I'll be leaving them with Chris to get quilted, so I have to select my backings and bindings. I've made my decisions for the cream and black versions, but the bright one was a little trickier, but not by much.

There are two ways you can go with a white quilt. You can use a white binding (snore!), or you can shake things up a bit. If the point of the quilt is to use ALL the crayons in the box, it made sense to find a fabric that did that too.

I've had this bright fabric for years, and although I love it

 It really didn't fit anywhere, so I made a tent for Millie. She uses it occasionally.

However I think it will be perfect for the binding for the quilt. I tested it by cutting 5/8" strips and setting it right on the flimsy on the design wall. Perfect!

As for the backing...
I found this in my stash. Another tricky to use big print, but I love big prints for the backings of my quilts.

3 comments:

Susan R said...

Great choices Lynne! I never use white for my bindings either.

Megan said...

Yep - it's perfect.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Sharon said...

I completely agree - Perfect!

Wish I could go to St. Louis and take your workshop! *sigh*