Sunday, September 9, 2012

Theory and Practice

In Theory, theory and practice are the same. 
In Practice, they are different.

This photo of the box in the Black Box quilt is proof. I knew how I wanted all these components to fit together, and in theory, they were supposed to fit together perfectly. However reality got in the way.

For some reason, the left side of the box is 1/4" too big. That's the THIRD time I cut that piece.  Partly because it is too big, I've got bubbles in two places where the quilt won't lie flat.  I'm going to have to rip that seam along the box, trim it down and resew it. I've also got to rip out the long diagonal seam from the box flap alongside the gold ray on the left.  I'll have to do some finagling there to get it to lie flat.

If I'm lucky fixing those two seams will get rid of the two bubbles. If I'm not, then I've got more tinkering to do.  I've been working on this quilt full steam ahead for the last two weeks, and it's kind of worn me out. I'm going to take a little break from it to regroup.


Terri said...

Better you than me... I would mess that all up. I'm still using squares and having troubles....

Quiltdivajulie said...

When you get the seams unstitched, try hand basting them until you like the way the seams lay down. Then you can machine stitch over the threadline. (ask me how I know this).

Debra said...

well, I have to tell you it looks fantastic from where I sit. I have really enjoyed watching this process.

Kathy said...

I agree with Julie. I've "solved the problem" in a similar fashion. Only, I just left the hand stitching as the final seam, rather than try to machine stitch over and potentially screw up, especially if I had to fold the fabric oddly beneath the presser foot. It is a whole lot easier than unstitching the entire thing and all. It really doesn't matter if one side of the seam is a bit wider than the other... That is all on the back side of the quilt.