Monday, May 21, 2018

Diamond Quartet

It's no secret I like to work in a series. I like to push an idea around and see where it goes. But it's rare for me to have more than two pieces in the same place at the same time, so when I do, I try to look at them all together, so I can compare them.

For that, I need a big open outside space so I can get far enough away to see them all at once, a fence to hang them on, and preferably, an overcast sky. (An overcast sky means the sun won't bleach out any colors and there will be no shadows.)

Sunday morning I had all three.

From left to right, "Dairy Cream with Sprinkles", "Glorious", "Dark Majesty", and "Tickled Pink".

I looked at them all lined up and thought, "Damn, these are cool."

You can click, and then double click the photos to see more details.

The overcast day means the colors in "Dark Majesty" (below) really show up. Although it is a dark quilt, when you can see it like this with good light, you can really see how colorful it is. Bright colors really glow when set against something dark, and that is exactly the case here.


The fence is along the parking lot of a local clubhouse in my area. While I was taking these pictures, some ladies were working in the building. One lady came out for something and called over to me, "I like the blue one best."  This photo shows why.

"Tickled Pink" really looks good in this light too. There is about 18" of this quilt folded over onto the other side of the fence.

None of these quilts are finished. The pink quilt above has binding sewn along the bottom, but none of the other quilts have been bound.

You'll have to bear with me. I took photos of the quilts hung sideways on the fence so I could get the whole thing, and this picture is rotated so you can see it vertically, which is the way it was designed. But it might be a but disconcerting. This is "Glorious", the collaboration quilt Julie Sefton and I made.

This is "Dairy Cream with Sprinkles."

This is "Tickled Pink."

This is the back of "Tickled Pink." The binding has been attached to the quilt, but only sewn down on the top edge.

It's so interesting to see the subtle variations.



Just a reminder that my diamond quilts are inspired by Pam Goecke Dinndorf's Harlequin Quilt. She sells a pattern for it here.


18 comments:

Nancy J said...

" Dark Majesty" for me too. But what a setting, all in a row, that is a superb photo shoot.

Anonymous said...

They are all beautiful, cannot choose between them.

Pat said...

What a gorgeous parade of quilts. Should you decide there is one that doesn't make "the cut", I'll send you my address. lol

Bambi Pearson said...

AWESOME!!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

They are all spectacular and I'm so happy you had all 4 together for a photo shoot.

Just Ducky said...

I am a Dark Majesty person, but they all are wonderful, glorious, stupendous, amazing etc.

Alison said...

Fabulous quilts and pictures! So wonderful to see them all together.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree with Wanda - each of these quilts is spectacular -- and they are even more so when shown together. Awesome set of photos -- HOORAY!! (SO looking forward to seeing Glorious in person when it arrives here mid-week . . . )

stitchinpenny said...

Glorious is my favorite, but only slightly they are all wonderful and have a little something different to offer. Pink is not my favorite color and Dark Majesty almost nosed the rest out, but my eye was drawn to a couple of squares on Dark Majesty that were too intense for me. So glad people are all different so we see things in different ways and some hear Laurel and some hear Yanny.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

Wow just fantastic. I have to say I am drawn to Glorious with the florals and I don't even own any florals. Thanks for sharing your work. You are very talented.

Kiwiquilter said...

“Dairy Cream with Sprinkles” calls to me. Fabulous colourway. But having said that, all are beautiful.

Nann said...

It's wonderful to have space to hang the quilts and then be able to back away far enough to see them as a group. I like the blue one from a distance but I also like the lower contrast version up close.

carolaj3 said...

I Love the blue one with the Tula Pink second.
Will you have a pattern for this soon?

Robby said...

Wonderful to see them all together. Like sisters, you can see the relationship, but there is something uniquely beautiful about each one. I'm not even going to pretend to choose a favorite. It must be especially interesting for you, the artist, to see them displayed side-by-side to see how your choices evolved.

Rose Marie said...

Damn .... they ARE good! LOL Wonderful to see the different variations of colour.

Havplenty said...

They are all beauties. Well done. I really like the pink backing, so individual.

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely amazing! A stunning collection!

Patricia Lessell said...

These are just gorgeous malorgeous (that’s high praise) and I could only choose one if you held a gun to my head. Okay I’d choose the pink one. So you don’t have to hold a gun to my head after all.