Sunday, April 22, 2018

Featherweight Heaven

I had a small problem with my new sewing machine. Every time I would use the thread cutter, the tension in the thread made it unthread the needle.  I figure I had done something wrong, so I brought the machine back to the shop. It took Dave about five seconds to spot the problem and then while he tested the machine to make sure the problem was solved, I took a quick look around the shop.


Shelves went all around the perimeter of the room, and on the shelves were sewing machines.

"He collects Featherweights" I was told when I asked.

I should say so!

You can watch a video about Dave and his shop here.



I hit the big box hardware store and bought a couple of big plastic bins to carry my quilts around on my cart. I got smart and brought some quilts with me so I could determine the correct size. I bought two of these bins. They held two of my scrap slabs quilt and one smaller wall quilt without smashing the quilts together. I picked up a few other things, (nothing to do with the kit: I bought basil, parsley, cilantro, dill and rosemary plants for my garden) and I finally ordered a portfolio to carry around my spare mats and portable design wall. Now I just have to wait until everything arrives.

Mary asked how I would make sure everything stayed on the cart.

Bungee cords, I replied, and yes, I already have them.

4 comments:

Nancy J said...

Superb shelves, and so many machines, the collector of all time I would say. Bungee cords, so much better than rope, twine or elastic.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I remember the year that Margaret Gunn's daughter won a sewing machine for her quilt and how Margaret was concerned because so few kids entered that category -- and her daughter was in that video as one of the seven winners! Go Dave Go! (and what a cool looking shop with all those Featherweights)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I would love to just visit that shop and stare. The video was great. I sew on vintage machines (except for the long arm).

Nancy said...

That video was great. Made me wish I lived in the area so I could support the shop of such a generous man!