Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A Pointed Story

Usually, where you join more than four pieces of fabric together in a seam, it's going to get bulky.



I tried to press everything to one side on one block, and to the other side in the block it would join, but that didn't really work as well as had hoped.


I am not sure if this was better than the way I was doing it before.

Which produced an unsightly bump on the front of the quilt. Of course it would disappear when quilted, but pressing was always a pain and I was still unhappy with it.  But I felt I was on the right track.

So I tried it the other way around. Instead of pressing the first side flat, and the second side over, I pressed the first piece over...

And then pressed the second side flat. As you can see it lies much flatter than the very first photo. I'll know for sure when I sew that row of blocks next to another one where the pieces have been assembled the same way.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

When I work with triangles I almost always press my seams open. When I was teaching a class with many triangles that came together I had worked out the pressing directions for all the pieces. I asked my class to let me know if that worked well. One of the ladies came back and said it worked better to press her seams open. I had always admired her precise piecing and I thought if it worked for her I would give it a try. It is time consuming but worth while for me. Your work is so precise and so neat that I am interested to see how you method works.